Question Google doesn't want to go in to dark mode ?

XenatoR

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021
So I normally use Google in dark mode and recently when I try to go to the images Google put the theme to device default but my Windows theme is dark. I'm used to dark mode and seeing this burns my eyes. I'd be really thankful if someone knows how I can fix this ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
which browser? on chrome it appears to have a theme selector at bottom, should just flick between the 2. Have you updated Chrome? or tried resetting it? might be a glitch.
GYTasbC.jpg

Shows the same in Edge.
I don't have choice in Firefox. I hadn't looked in right place, its there.
it doesn't seem to swap on my PC if I change my desktop from dark to light.

XenatoR

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021
which browser? on chrome it appears to have a theme selector at bottom, should just flick between the 2. Have you updated Chrome? or tried resetting it? might be a glitch.
GYTasbC.jpg

Shows the same in Edge.
I don't have choice in Firefox. I hadn't looked in right place, its there.
it doesn't seem to swap on my PC if I change my desktop from dark to light.
I'm on Google chrome and when you search something there's gonna be a gear wheel on the top right, when you click it there's gonna be 3 options on bottom: "light theme", "dark theme" and "device default". When I go to the images tab Google changes the theme to device default by itself

Colif

Win 11 Master
I'm on Google chrome and when you search something there's gonna be a gear wheel on the top right, when you click it there's gonna be 3 options on bottom: "light theme", "dark theme" and "device default".
i see that but the settings on one page shouldn't touch the other one. what you set for search shouldn't effect anything else.

So are you saying that just visiting images page changes the settings in search?

Look, last time I helped someone with a weird Google thing, I got it a few days later. They been messing with Search results recenly, the shade of black you get on the search screen now is darker than it was a few weeks ago, or it might not be... they roll out changes in stages

gardenman

Splendid
I had the same issue, except YouTube was forcing dark mode on me and I wanted light mode. It would go the Device Default as you stated. This lasted about a week and resolved itself yesterday. Everything is back to normal for me now. So I say wait a day or so to see if it helps.

One of the things I read online was to clear all temp files. I tried that, and it helped for about 2 or 3 page views, then went back to dark mode (the one that I didn't want).

So wait a few days to see if it resolves itself.

Reactions: XenatoR

XenatoR

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021
i see that but the settings on one page shouldn't touch the other one. what you set for search shouldn't effect anything else.

So are you saying that just visiting images page changes the settings in search?

Look, last time I helped someone with a weird Google thing, I got it a few days later. They been messing with Search results recenly, the shade of black you get on the search screen now is darker than it was a few weeks ago, or it might not be... they roll out changes in stages
You mean I should wai
I had the same issue, except YouTube was forcing dark mode on me and I wanted light mode. It would go the Device Default as you stated. This lasted about a week and resolved itself yesterday. Everything is back to normal for me now. So I say wait a day or so to see if it helps.

One of the things I read online was to clear all temp files. I tried that, and it helped for about 2 or 3 page views, then went back to dark mode (the one that I didn't want).

So wait a few days to see if it resolves itself.
I'll wait, thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

XenatoR

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021

Just whatever I search on Google, when I go to the images tab Google changes the theme to light by itself l, I'll wait a few days to see if it resolves itself, thanks for the help

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:

XenatoR

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021
https://support.google.com/websearc...le-switching-to-light-on-its-own-glitch?hl=en

see what I mean about waiting, unless that is you?
if not, his post shows there isn't much you can do to avoid it, for now.

It might be part of a change to how google does color - https://www.androidpolice.com/googl...age-results-but-its-not-exactly-material-you/ - this is android but its likely to apply to chrome on PC too.
Yeah that's not me but its very similar to my issue except for me it happens only on the images section. I'll just have to wait