Google Fiber May Branch Out to 34 New Cities

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In light of Comcast's recent Timewarner purchase, this would be the best thing for US North Carolinians...

Good luck with that.

TWC and their partners in crime, Charter Communications, bought the NC State Legislature to do their dirty work. They prefer buying politicians over updating/investing in infrastructure.

barto

Expert
Ambassador
Good luck with that.TWC and their partners in crime, Charter Communications, bought the NC State Legislature to do their dirty work. They prefer buying politicians over updating/investing in infrastructure.
No kidding. Google would be great. I'm paying $130 a month right now for 18 mbps and HD channels. I would be flabbergasted to have 6 times the speed and the same HD channels for the same price.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
It's indicative of how bad the home broadband market currently is when everyone on sites such as this begs Google to come to their town. More so when this includes people who are even concerned about Google and privacy issues. That is just sad. Come on FCC, do your job for once.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
It's indicative of how bad the home broadband market currently is when everyone on sites such as this begs Google to come to their town. More so when this includes people who are even concerned about Google and privacy issues. That is just sad. Come on FCC, do your job for once.

VikingDK

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Google should by in to fiber in Denmark, that way they will save mony and get a readymade infrastructure, tho fiber isent in the largest Danish Towns yet.I am looking to move to where there is fiber to get ( Again ) and i would love 1 gbit instead of the 60/60 i plan to get.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008

VikingDK

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Google should by in to fiber in Denmark, that way they will save mony and get a readymade infrastructure, tho fiber isent in the largest Danish Towns yet.I am looking to move to where there is fiber to get ( Again ) and i would love 1 gbit instead of the 60/60 - 100/100i plan to get.As a bonus they could buy the whole country later, our politicians are cheaper than US is :)

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Why doesn't anyone ask why Google fiber is so cheap? Verizon is over 15 times more expensive per Mb/s than Google fiber.

There is no short term strategic benefit to pricing themselves so low. They could easily just undercut by half instead of by 1/15 and still get about the same user base.

Don't say they are doing it to be nice. Google is a business. They exist to make money.

Is this just Google trying to appear less evil, or is this really just a matter of the NSA getting into the ISP business?

allawash

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Google said before, they aren't looking to become an internet provider, it seems that when they initially provided service in those cities, they were sending a warning shot to all the other companies to get off their a$$e$ and start upgrading their junk equipment and lines. That didn't work, so now they are threatening the companies again by expanding further, and it looks to be in areas that might actually make a dent in the other providers bottom lines. Corporate monopolies are stagnating the development of the U.S. infrastructure.

VikingDK

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
The fiber Companies here use to offer 1 mbit lines on fiber, thankfully they have dropped that, and to my knowlege the minimum is now 30/30 mbit.It all started way back with the electrial supplieres having overcharged for power for many years, so they got 2 choices from politicians1. Pay back the billions to the customers.2. Roll out fiber in rural areas.Its like the politicians wanted fiber to fail, offering fiber in the rural areas where fjew ppl live is like opening a icecream stand on the North pole.

Just go to every Comcast-monopoly city and you'll have 100% market penetration within a week. Please, just put that horrible, horrible company out of business. At this point I don't even care if the prices are any better - just put them out of business.

Same but with Cox and only $100/mo. I can't go to anything slower. It is just nice when I buy a new game on Steam and I see 14-17MB/s download speeds.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
As we know google will go where it knows the folk can pay for its services and it will just forget about the rest. Though it is great that they are rolling out fiber to the home. Way to go. One of my buds had fiber just connected and his speeds just went up 100x for some of the websites, it is so fast and so reliable and sh+ts on copper. Anyone on copper will cry if they only knew. Fibre to home is the only way. Get rid of copper, let the aussies have it. ha ha.

I used to work for Verizons home service. They started FiOS and everyone I had as a customer loved it. Mainly because it was true FTTP which means they had a direct connection instead of sharing so no matter what time of day they had their speeds they were paying for.

Top it off with the fact that FiOS also allowed for FHD video streaming while the rest were at best 1080i.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

I'm so much more sad now than before after hearing about the true speeds. And here I am waiting for Dosis 3.1. Won't have a FTTH option where I live for quite a while longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.