[SOLVED] GoogleTV Chromecast with USB-C NIC + Passthrough.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hi all,

Trying to decipher a strange problem..... Only thing I can think of is power, but even then, it doesn't make too much sense in my head.

Picked up a Chromecast with GoogleTV. Getting 250up/down via Wifi, but I have Gigabit internet, so wanted a wired connection here.

Looked at a few different options (since the official Google adapter is 10/100) and didn't want a mess of hubs etc.
Settled on a Belkin USB-C Ethernet Adapter + Charge, which has up to 60W passthrough.

Fully expected the stock 5V/1.5A = 7.5W brick not to work, and it didn't.
I have a couple of Anker PD bricks, so I figured I was set.... Appears I wrong.

Connected USB-A to USB-C via the Belkin, I get an improper power warning on screen and the device won't boot.
5V/2.4A = 12W provided via the USB-A port.

The USB-C port of the brick is 5V/3A or 9V/2A, assuming negotiated by the device...... so the device is likely able to draw 15W max.
This powered up, and I thought I was up & running. Unfortunately, results are terrible. Topping out around 80down/300up.

To rule out a problem with the adapter, I plugged it into my Pixel 3XL without supplementary power, and it worked - full Gigabit. Connected a charger alongside, just to sanity check that it could do both at the same time, and successfully charging the Pixel 3XL and providing Gigabit.

Is it feasible that the adapter needs >7.5W to provide Gigabit?
If so, can it really 'pull' >7.5W from the USB-C port on a Pixel 3XL?

If not, any other suggestions about what might be going on? I'll buy a 45-60W brick if necessary, but I'm extremely doubtful that'll do it...

Solution
The official adapter is only 10/100, and is an all-in-one piece, plug + NIC + power cable.
Given best I can hope to achieve with it is 100/100, I'm not going to waste money on it when I can do 250/250 via Wifi.

I'll reach out to Belkin, see if they can provide and insight or at least the power requirements of the adapter. Nothing listed on the box, which I thought was very strange.
For a streaming device, being "limited" to 250mbit is not a limitation. 4K requires 40Mbit. You aren't missing anything.
I would try the official 10/100 and see how it feels compared to wifi. If you don't feel a difference, I wouldn't even bother with the untested gigabit ones.

As far as your power issue, I would talk to belkin about it and see what they suggest. I don't expect them to have a solution, but maybe some ideas that will lead you to the solution.

kanewolf

Titan
The official adapter is only 10/100, and is an all-in-one piece, plug + NIC + power cable.
Given best I can hope to achieve with it is 100/100, I'm not going to waste money on it when I can do 250/250 via Wifi.

I'll reach out to Belkin, see if they can provide and insight or at least the power requirements of the adapter. Nothing listed on the box, which I thought was very strange.
For a streaming device, being "limited" to 250mbit is not a limitation. 4K requires 40Mbit. You aren't missing anything.

Reactions: Barty1884
Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Completely agree, it's more the principle of it. I can 'see' Gigabit speeds on my Shield etc, and there's no inherent limitation within AndroidTV/GoogleTV, as far as I know.... So I should be able to 'see' Gigabit via the Chromecast too.

Whether I can do anything with such speed is another question alltogether.

No matter what the wifi bandwidth is, the latency of a wire will always be better and shows in streaming.