[SOLVED] Got a SSD wondering If I can use my HDD

chris2726058

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
So I just bought an SSD for my pc and I have a terabyte HDD that my pc has been using for a couple of years now. I want to reinstall windows on my SSD along with some other programs but I don't have the parts to clone over my harddrive right now. So I was wondering if I install windows on my SSD and start it up as a new pc, will it recognize my existing hard drive as just more storage without deleting what was on it already? Or do I have to just backup everything and just start over (which I don't really mind).

Solution
I think you can just clone a single partition over to your ssd (which should be the OS (C:) if it's not exceeding 500GB) then copy the rest of the data later which can fit on the ssd.

chris2726058

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
"don't have the parts to clone over my harddrive right now "

Please give us some details on why you think this is not possible?

What size/make/model is the new SSD?
How much space is consumed on your current HDD?

I have 900/1000gb used up on the HDD and my ssd is only 500gb so I don't have enough storage to clone it over. Its also the wd 500gb ssd

PRemBH0i

Commendable
Nov 10, 2020
I think you can just clone a single partition over to your ssd (which should be the OS (C:) if it's not exceeding 500GB) then copy the rest of the data later which can fit on the ssd.

Solution