Question GPU Artifacting but not showing up in screenshots.

LampGoat

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016
Specs:
RTX 2070S FE, i7-7700, 16GB DDR4 (2x8) HyperX Fury, Gigabyte H110-MA Mobo, WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM, NZXT Kraken x62 AIO, 500W EVGA BR.

I got an RTX 2070S FE around early July 2020 and it's begun to artifact out of nowhere. The only things i remember doing different on the day it began to artifact was:
  1. Install Prey 2017
  2. Launch NZXT CAM for the first time in ~2 months to set the Kraken x62 RGB (I DID NOT OC ANYTHING)
  3. Update drivers to 456.38.

The screen turned black while i was playing and it would not turn back on so i just hit the reset button on my PC and decided to play R6S instead. Within 30 seconds, R6 crashed and i thought maybe my drivers were outdated so at that point I updated to 456.38--at which it still crashed. After doing a complete wipe with DDU, the PC automatically installed 430.00 which seemed to run perfectly, until it BSOD'd and presented artifacting. After updating, the screen began to show artifacting in the top half of the screen. I reverted back to the previous drivers but the artifacting was still present.

I used the screenshot test, which it seemed to pass--no artifacting appeared on the screenshot BUT i also swapped the DP cable to an HDMI, still artifacting; swapped the monitor to a TV, still artifacting, but no artifacting on my RX 480--therefore leading me to assume there is something wrong with the 2070S.

The only thing I can possibly think of as a source of damage is the PSU since the min req for the 2070S is a 650W and I've been running on a 500w without any problems--until now.

I just bought a 750W PSU but before i open up my PC and start cleaning everything, I just wanted to know if the artifacting could go away with the simple PSU replacement or if I should still go ahead with the RMA process?

LampGoat

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016
if it not showing up in screenshot. is the monitor, or the cable
I've swapped the monitor to a perfectly working TV and i've also swapped the DP cable to a perfectly working HDMI cable.
I'm currently using the same monitor and DP cable on my RX 480 and it's not showing any artifacting.

TRENDING THREADS