[SOLVED] GPU Crashes after 3 - 4 hours of playing.

Feb 16, 2022
My Build:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
16.0GB DDR4 Ram
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (AM4)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER (Gigabyte)
550w PSU

I have a interesting issue happening and i am not sure where to look next. I have an RTX 2060 Super and i have had it coming up to 2 years. I brought it new and recently i have noticed my GPU will crash after 3-4 hours of my computer being on. What i play or what i am doing on the computer does not make a difference to how quickly it happens as far as i have noticed. When the GPU crash occurs it will normally happen in this order. 1. discord will close/crash 2. game will crash 3. all 3 monitors go black then comes back like normal( gpu rebooting?) 4. normally get an error appear about running out of memory( i am 99% sure the error is referencing gpu memory not RAM memory). Now this process will keep repeating when i try and boot up a game. The strange this is a full reboot of the computer will then allow my computer to run for another 4ish hours until it happens again. It might not directly be an issue with the GPU, maybe something else is happening causing the GPU to crash. Any ideas will be helpful as i am running out of ideas

What i have done about it:
Windows Memory Diagnostics, no issues detected.
Multiple full fresh driver installs
checking for memory leaks (non that are obvious)
virus scans
monitoring temps ( nothing out of the ordinary happens leading upto and when it crashes)
monitoring loads on hardware ( again nothing out of the ordinary happens leading up to and when it crashes)

Thank you for reading,
Jay Morgan

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022
Old 550w PSU on a system that can use upwards of 400w peak, I would say that swapping in a bigger, reliable, and new PSU would be a good test and is probably warranted at this point anyways.

Hello,

thank you, I think that's what I'm going to do. just another question while we are on the topic, would a dying PSU bottleneck the gpu? I'm noticing my gpu doesn't handle streaming/recording as well as it did maybe a year ago when i stopped streaming.

Hello,

thank you, I think that's what I'm going to do. just another question while we are on the topic, would a dying PSU bottleneck the gpu? I'm noticing my gpu doesn't handle streaming/recording as well as it did maybe a year ago when i stopped streaming.
Typically a PSU either works properly or doesn't. As far as performance degradation goes there should not be any because of the PSU.