[SOLVED] GPU crashes within a few minutes of opening a game

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2023
Over the past month, my video card has been crashing a few minutes into playing games.
I use other programs which are also resource intensive but nothing happens.

Everything works as usual, but as soon as I open a game, within a couple of minutes, the video card crashes.
First, the signal stops going to the monitor, then the sound stops coming from the game which indicates that the running applications has also crashed. Then it stays like that, following which I force restart.

My peripherals do work when the signal stops, as I am able to take screenshots when pressing the Win+prtsc, but when I view them after the restart, it's just black.

Here is the most confusing part, which makes me question if this is a PSU / Video Card issue:
When I reboot, and open the game again - it doesn’t crash, I play for hours but nothing happens.

Here, I have attached 2 images, 1st image is recorded when the crash happens & the 2nd image is post reboot, when the crash does not happen. They are recorded using MSI Afterburner.

In the following log, its visible when the crash happens. Everything including the power draw instantly drops to ZERO:
21st_May_1558_Card_Crash_1.png

Here, in this log, I simply play the game for around 10-12 minutes and then exit the game normally:
21st_May_1613_Card_Does_Not_Crash.png

So, the occurrence of this crash is almost simultaneous in nature.

After the reboot, in the event viewer, I open ‘System’ logs -
I see no errors logged before the crash.
Post boot, the only relevant errors are:

Kernel Power 41 (63)
TPM-WMI 1033

Also, there are no files in the MiniDump folder in C:/Windows.

• Tried reinstalling the Graphics Driver using DDU.
  • Used memtest86 and waited for at least 3 passes. There were no errors.
  • Ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  • Ran sfc /scannow
  • Ran chkdsk /f /r
  • Deleted TEMP folders

Description of every hardware component and if I believe if it's causing this crash or not :

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 , age : ~2 years
I don't know if a bad CPU can cause this behaviour.
Core Performance Boost, Performance Boost Overdrive turned off in the BIOS
Average idle temperatures stays between 40-45 degree celsius, ingame temps are also normal.

Graphics Card - Zotac Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti , age: ~3.5 years
PSU - Antec VP550P Plus 550 Watt 80 Plus , age: ~2.5 years

As mentioned before, games work fine and does not crash after the reboot. So, if any of these were affected it would cause crashes on every instance and not in simultaneous instances. Still, I don’t know enough to completely count them out.

Motherboard - Gigabyte B550M DS3H , age: 2.5 years
BIOS is updated, no BSODs or random reboots, seems unlikely

Memory - G.Skill 8GB * 2 DDR4 2400Mhz , age: 4 years
No diminishing performance, no POST issue, no random crashes, no corrupt files
As mentioned before, testing done using memtest86 for 2 hours, no errors were detected (I know 2 hours might not be enough for 100% assurance)

SSD - XPG Spectrix S40G
Health @ 92% , latest firmware installed

Chipset Drivers installed are latest , from AMD[.]com

Operating System : Windows 11

Last edited:
PSU - Antec VP550P Plus 550 Watt 80 Plus , age: ~2.5 years

Okay, as I have guessed before, your PSU might be causing these issues with games. That ANTEC is only recommended for entry-level iGPU systems/onboard graphics, and is not meant to power high-end discrete GPUs. It's a poor quality PSU, IMO.

Just a basic 80 Plus certified model.

For the GTX 1660 Ti, you need to get some other high quality PSU model. As per this list, that Antec Model comes under Tier D, unless I'm mistaken:

Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems

1st Player | Black Sir [BS] - Black Widow - DK (non-modular / fully-modular) [non-'Premium']- FK - PRO
Abko / Suitmaster | Mighty
Aerocool | Aero White - Cyclon - KCAS (M) Bronze (<=800W,1000W) - Lux RGB - Strike-X <=600W - VX (Plus) (RGB)
Andyson | M5+ 450W
Antec | Ares AP - Atom / V [teal label] / B [yellow label] - Basiq 80 Plus / VP Plus / VP-P (Plus) / VP-PC - Cuprum Strike [CSK] - Earthwatts [EA] Gold Pro [3/4y warranty] [4] / Platinum / 80+ / (D) Green - Neo Eco Classic NE-C (X50W/X20W) / Modular NE-M / NE-M v2 - NX

May 20, 2023
Okay, as I have guessed before, your PSU might be causing these issues with games. That ANTEC is only recommended for entry-level iGPU systems/onboard graphics, and is not meant to power high-end discrete GPUs. It's a poor quality PSU.

For the GTX 1660 Ti, you need to get some other high quality PSU model. As per this list, that Antec Model comes under Tier D:

Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems

1st Player | Black Sir [BS] - Black Widow - DK (non-modular / fully-modular) [non-'Premium']- FK - PRO
Abko / Suitmaster | Mighty
Aerocool | Aero White - Cyclon - KCAS (M) Bronze (<=800W,1000W) - Lux RGB - Strike-X <=600W - VX (Plus) (RGB)
Andyson | M5+ 450W
Antec | Ares AP - Atom / V [teal label] / B [yellow label] - Basiq 80 Plus / VP Plus / VP-P (Plus) / VP-PC - Cuprum Strike [CSK] - Earthwatts [EA] Gold Pro [3/4y warranty] [4] / Platinum / 80+ / (D) Green - Neo Eco Classic NE-C (X50W/X20W) / Modular NE-M / NE-M v2 - NX
Thank you for your reply.
I have some questions.

As I mentioned in my thread, the games work fine upon restart. So, how can a bad PSU be justified in this case. I ask as I don't know enough about how exactly a PSU might cause this behavior.

Also, does it mean that the PSU itself has detoriated after 2.5 years of use or could it be that there is a problem with the 8-pin connector that the video card uses?

Thank you for your reply.
I have some questions.

As I mentioned in my thread, the games work fine upon restart. So, how can a bad PSU be justified in this case. I ask as I don't know enough about how exactly a PSU might cause this behavior.

Also, does it mean that the PSU itself has detoriated after 2.5 years of use or could it be that there is a problem with the 8-pin connector that the video card uses?

What type of games can you play after a restart, are they graphic demanding ? And for how many hours in a row ? I didn't say that Antec PSU is the culprit, but most likely a suspect since it's not a very high quality unit to begin with.

A high quality PSU won't deteriorate in just 2-3 years of time, but a cheap quality low end model can definitely die or start giving problem.

If you think your PSU is fine, then try some other PSU model from any of your friends if possible, and check your GPU and system with his/her PSU. If you face the same issue, then most likely the Antec PSU might be the cause of these crashes, imo.

PS: Sorry for the delay in replying back.

May 20, 2023
UPDATE:

The answer is - Graphics Driver
I reinstalled a nearly 5 month old graphics driver for my video card and upon testing over 2 days, I believe I have fixed this issue.

However, it is not that simple. Only one of these things fixed my issue:​

Removing the graphics driver completely using DDU in Safe Mode.
or
Installation of an older driver, which is more stable than the newest driver.

I did reinstall my graphics driver earlier to try to fix this issue, but the process of uninstallation was using DDU without Safe Mode. Also, I installed the newest driver which was offered. There is no way of knowing what made it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS