solostrikebt

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
So i was cleaning my gpu,cleaned the dust off and changed thermal paste. When I turned on my pc while windows was loading the pc froze with squares of pixels on the screen,tried safe mode and it booted into windows, deleted old drivers and reinstalled newest,when the first monitor flicker happened it crashed again with the squares on screen.Any suggestions on what might the problem be? The gpu is a RX 580 nitro+ 8GB.I hope i can resolve this issue because of the gpu situation going on and i have no money to buy a new one

IMG_20210425_213224.jpg.f059885dd6b48ba0d6348bfa2648c15c.jpg

Solution
Sounds to me like you either overtigthened the card back and damaged a vram capacitor. Those artifacts come from the vram capacitors 90% of the times. That or by overtigthening you actually chipped the dye. Something went wrong along that process. Because if it was working fine before the repasting process, you def did something wrong when reassemble it all back. Is the paste conductive? Might have been smeared onto the dye sides and create shortages.

solostrikebt

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
Usually signs of a dying graphics card.. Try DDU here. I know you deleted your drivers, but you'd be surprised how often that tool can fix issues.

Got any other cables? Maybe it'll be fine with those. Other monitors perhaps?

I did use DDU but i didn't resolve my issue, I'm trying a new installation of windows 10 to see if that might work.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Sounds to me like you either overtigthened the card back and damaged a vram capacitor. Those artifacts come from the vram capacitors 90% of the times. That or by overtigthening you actually chipped the dye. Something went wrong along that process. Because if it was working fine before the repasting process, you def did something wrong when reassemble it all back. Is the paste conductive? Might have been smeared onto the dye sides and create shortages.

Solution