[SOLVED] GPU display randomly shuts off and fan runs at max speed.

Jun 11, 2024
My 6700 XT works perfectly when gaming (fine performance, fine temps), but at random times it would turn off the display and crank its fans to max speed, even the second fan which I've never even seen turn on while playing AAA games with this GPU for over a year. This would happen when the PC has been on for a while (idling. I haven't seen it do this during game time), or it would happen immediately after I turn it on. Updating the driver didn't help. Reconnecting the power cable didn't work either.

CPU: i5 11400F
GPU: RX 6700 XT
CPU cooler: Deepcool AK400
Motherboard: MSI B560M-A PRO
Storage: Kioxia Exceria m.2 1TB
PSU: be quiet System Power 9 500W
RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? You might want to source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built 650W PSU and see if the issue persists.
Hi, and thanks. I don't think the PSU is the problem. It's two years old and it never showed any difficulties with my 6700 until now. Plus this problem happens when idle

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Hi, and thanks. I don't think the PSU is the problem. It's two years old and it never showed any difficulties with my 6700 until now. Plus this problem happens when idle
Do you know what year it was manufactured? The System Power 9 is a good PSU so it probably isn't to blame, but components can degrade over time.

Also, you are having a power issue so the PSU is going to be a suspect.

Can you test the GPU in another computer?
What about testing another PSU in your computer?
Do you have some malware running? A hostile cryptominer can try to use resources when your PC is idling.