Question GPU displayport not working, 144Hz not working RTX3060

RobijnA

Commendable
Jun 8, 2020
Hello,

I have a system consisting of a gaming desktop with a RTX3060(1 year old) and a recent bought 144Hz screen, the Philips 242E1 (1/2 year old).
If I plug my Displayport in any port on my GPU my screen is black with some light color strips. This is with the Displayport cable out of the box and with another cable I had lying around.
When I plug the screen in my GPU with an HDMI cable my screen works on 60Hz but sometimes under a GPU load and without GPU load I have that my screen random turn black.
This can be solved by resetting my GPU driver with a keyboard shortcut. If in windows I set my refresh rate to 144Hz the screen turn black with light stripes like I have when I plug my Displayport cable in and after like 30 seconds it gets back to 60Hz.

I have the latest GPU driver and the cables out of the box of the display.
The screen doesn't have a setting to enable 144Hz.

I never had any problems with my old 60Hz screen. Is my GPU broken or what do I need to do???

RobijnA

Commendable
Jun 8, 2020
Thank you for your response,

I've tested my screen with another laptop over HDMI and 144Hz doesn't work either. But windows gives only the option like 143.995Hz.
Is this usual?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There are 242e1 models with different suffixes, gez, gaez, gsj. Do you know which one yours is? Seems they might all share similar specs.

Reviews mention 144Hz works on both Hdmi and DP. Apparently screen is Freesync and Gsync compatible but for Gsync functionality should be over DP.

I can't see Adaptive sync option in the screen menu to toggle it so it might be automatic. Check if Gsync is enabled or not in manage 3D settings in NvidiaCP when using DP cable. If it is enabled try turn it off and see if you can set 144Hz without issues.

There's an option in screen menu under picture for Mprt, a blur reduction method for VA panels, since they are susceptible to ghosting. Can't be used in conjunction with adaptive sync / aka Gsync. Can read about it in the manual if you have a hard copy or find it online. If 144Hz works by disabling Gsync you might want to try turn on this setting if motion bothers you.

By Hdmi not working correctly either possibly leads me to think there's something wrong with the monitor. Perhaps try reinstall Geforce drivers and trying an older version as there might also be problems with the latest. Just to troubleshoot. Maybe use display driver uninstaller program in windows safe mode and thoroughly wiping graphics card drivers to make sure your issue isn't software related before considering returning monitor for warranty, which you should still have half a year left on.

RobijnA

Commendable
Jun 8, 2020
Thank you for your comprehensive message,

I have connected Displayport and disabled G-sync and tried 144Hz but I can only go as high as 99.97Hz until I got a black screen. I also tried enabling MPRT while G-sync was off but it didn't make a difference. I have some days ago updated my GPU driver, what i didn't do since a long time but it didn't solve the issue so i don't think it's a bad driver version. So I still have random black screens with that monitor while my seconds old screen dont.
So I suppose that I better return the screen?

What do you think?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So I suppose that I better return the screen?

Yeah i think so. It shouldn't be this hard and i suspect quality control missed a beat with Philips. Go for something from Viewsonic, Acer, Asus, Lg. Instead opt for IPS instead of VA, blacks a nice but too much ghosting with fast pace games, if that's what you play.

Use website Rtings for comprehensive monitor reviews.