[SOLVED] GPU doesn't go back to idle temp, core temps are jumping around,why?

Mar 8, 2022
İdle temps are 41-44C. When i play a game it increases to 70-95C (6900xt) which is normal i think. But after i quit the game, temps does not go back to 41-44C, it sits 56-59C. Is that a normal behaviour?

Solution
Airflow. Idle temps are based on the component and its power draw, but those are just the baseline. Actual temp is adjusted according to environment.

If when gaming or other high demand gpu usage, you turn your pc into a portable oven or room heater, the gpu will remain at whatever temp the case allows. It's physically impossible to cool an object below ambient temps by mechanical means. That requires chemical means (peltier, LN2 etc). A fan blowing air is mechanical. The ambient is not the outside room temp, but the inside case temp.

So if the inside of the case is a toasty 50°C, you can fully expect a gpu or cpu or both to idle in the 51°C and up range.

That said, change software. Use HWInfo64 or Coretemp or Msi Afterburner or...
1-2 hours. Actually not only after gaming. For example ; i tested it now. I open pc and idles are 41-44 and now it is 53-56 C again and i didnt open any games, just youtube videos ...
Video playback can cause a significant amount of GPU activity.

As an anecdote, my RTX 2070 Super idles at 300MHz. Playing a video sometimes brings that up to 800MHz and doubles the power consumption from 20W to 40W. This is significant enough to bring the temperature up from ~45C idling to about 50-55C.

Mar 8, 2022
Video playback can cause a significant amount of GPU activity.

As an anecdote, my RTX 2070 Super idles at 300MHz. Playing a video sometimes brings that up to 800MHz and doubles the power consumption from 20W to 40W. This is significant enough to bring the temperature up from ~45C idling to about 50-55C.

Thanks for your answer. This explain me im not the only one ... What about when you stop watching videos ? Temps goes back to normal idle values ? My problem is when i stop doing "anything" temps stands still at 53-56C and never goes back to 41-44C. But when i shut down pc and wait like 60 min. and starts again, it starts with 41-44C again.

Thanks for your answer. This explain me im not the only one ... What about when you stop watching videos ? Temps goes back to normal idle values ? My problem is when i stop doing "anything" temps stands still at 53-56C and never goes back to 41-44C. But when i shut down pc and wait like 60 min. and starts again, it starts with 41-44C again.
Mine usually does.

It might be useful to see if you can grab some metrics using GPU-z or HWiNFO when the card appears to properly idle and when it's not. Also it'd be useful to check in Task Manager if something's using the GPU for some reason.

Mar 8, 2022
Mine usually does.

It might be useful to see if you can grab some metrics using GPU-z or HWiNFO when the card appears to properly idle and when it's not. Also it'd be useful to check in Task Manager if something's using the GPU for some reason.

I will check your advices but as far as i understand your pc also act similar, thanks again !

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Airflow. Idle temps are based on the component and its power draw, but those are just the baseline. Actual temp is adjusted according to environment.

If when gaming or other high demand gpu usage, you turn your pc into a portable oven or room heater, the gpu will remain at whatever temp the case allows. It's physically impossible to cool an object below ambient temps by mechanical means. That requires chemical means (peltier, LN2 etc). A fan blowing air is mechanical. The ambient is not the outside room temp, but the inside case temp.

So if the inside of the case is a toasty 50°C, you can fully expect a gpu or cpu or both to idle in the 51°C and up range.

That said, change software. Use HWInfo64 or Coretemp or Msi Afterburner or all 3 to verify gpu temps as it doesn't take an hour to cool off a case with decent airflow, a couple of 120mm fans will fully replace All the air in a mid-tower in less than a minute.

Solution