Question GPU Has no output while gaming (under load)

Roomsy

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015
When I play demanding games my GPU sometimes stops outputting video. The monitor will recieve no signal I hear a glitch noise but after that I can still hear the game or talk to my friends on discord. I have switched out the PSU but that hasn't fixed the issue so that's ruled out. The games always run fine and I have no problems playing besides this.

EDIT:
I have looked at temperatures and there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary. Might be worth noting that I had this problem a few months ago but that I was able to resolve by putting the GPU in a different slot.

It also seems to occur random, I could launch a game and have it crash in the menus, or play for 2 hours without anything happening.

i5-7600
MSI GTX 970
2x 4GB RAM Corsair vengeance

Last edited:
What PSU did you have before, and which one have you bought instead?
Power still sounds like a possible problem, based on the description of your problem, but it is of course worth noticing that you did change it already

Have you tried monitoring temperatures while under heavy load? GPU and CPU temp?

Reactions: Roomsy

Roomsy

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015
What PSU did you have before, and which one have you bought instead?
Power still sounds like a possible problem, based on the description of your problem, but it is of course worth noticing that you did change it already

Have you tried monitoring temperatures while under heavy load? GPU and CPU temp?

I have looked at temperatures and there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary. Might be worth noting that I had this problem a few months ago but that I was able to resolve by putting the GPU in a different slot.

It also seems to occur random, I could launch a game and have it crash in the menus, or play for 2 hours without anything happening.

It could also be problems with your GPU, it has been a while since they were released.

How old is the GPU?

Are drivers updated for both the PC in general and the graphics card?

The motherboard could also be at fault.

There are a lot of possible causes right now, so any info you can provide, which could help narrow down the list of possible faults would be very useful.

Have you experienced any other minor errors or crashes recently? It doesn't have to be something you think is related to the GPU problem, but is everything else stable and working well?

It would still be useful if you could provide the make and model of both PSUs - the old one and the new one.

Roomsy

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015
I bought the GPU from a friend who has had for a few years but never used it much.

All drivers are up to date.

I haven't really noticed any other issue but the motherboard does have 2 faulty ram slots.

Current PSU is the Cooler Master B500 Ver2.
Also tested with Gigabyte B700H
Both of them have the same issue

I will run memtest tommorow to see if there is anything wrong with the memory.

I didn't really think the motherboard was the issue, but now that you mention possibly faulty RAM slots, it is certainly an indication of one part or another failing.

Could you prvide specs and age of your motherboard?

More detailed info about all components could prove helpful

Roomsy

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015
ASUS Prime Z270-K bought second hand 2-3 years ago

The CPU has a cooler master tower cooler
All storage is new

I do not know of any way to test if a motherboard is at fault, I have cleared the CMOS

I think this is all if you need to know any more please let me know!
Thanks for helping me

I haven't been much help so far, to be honest.

When did the RAM sockets stop working? Was it like that when you bought it, or when did it happen? A long time ago or recently?

Would it be possible for you to test your graphics card in a different computer - maybe in a friend's computer or a relative?

It could possibly help rule out either the motherboard or the GPU, in order to avoid troubleshooting the wrong component.

To me at least, it is difficult to be 100% sure if this is only GPU related, or if it could possibly be the motherboard, since it appear to have some defects already. I think the PSUs should be good enough for troubleshooting, but I don't have much knowledge of them other than that. Someone else will know for sure.

My only idea right now, is that the next step would be to isolate what component is actually at fault, possibly by testing the GPU in a different PC.

I'm not even sure if it could be software realted, although hardware seems most obvious to me.

I hope someone else will drop by shortly, with some additional advice