Question GPU hits 100% major FPS drop

Jul 7, 2019
Hello everyone!

Once the GPU hits 100% while gaming FPS, clockspeed, drops insanely.

I've been trying to figure this out for a month now. When playing games in the beginning everything is fine. After 10 min or so the GPU starts to go at 100% and the clock speed drops, fps drops and it's unplayable. The % will lower and the clockspeed increases but it just goes back and forth. Temperatures are around 65c-76c.

If I disable Speedstep with speed boost disabled games run well but it overheats to 90c+

Intel speed boost overheats CPU, so I've kept that disabled.

Idk if anyone else has this problem. I haven't played games in awhile so I'm not sure when it started to happen. Just this past month I started to play a game and noticed this problem. This wasn't happening before.

I have the Dell G7
GTX 1060 6gb
16gb ram
i7 8750H

Jul 7, 2019
still can't figure this out.

I went to Dell Power Manager > Thermal management
It was on Optimized so I put it on Ultra Performance. I went on Overwatch and the FPS was great but the temperature was high. I undervolt both GPU and CPU made no changes... later today I turned back my laptop back on and back to normal. 100% GPU and low FPS. Idk what changed. I tried putting the volt settings to what I had and no change. Still low FPS.

So, for some reason it was working kind of... and then it's back to 100% and idle clockspeed.

Jul 7, 2019
Okay! So, I figured something out... I kept turbo boost on and speedstep. I under volted both GPU and CPU. Went to Dell Power Management and even though it's selected to Ultra Performance It isn't actually enabled so I have to click another option and choose Ultra again. FPS runs well but then the temperature goes mega hot 80c-100c and games crash. Yeah, sooo... idk not sure what the issue is.