Question GPU is making a very loud grinding/electrical noise - Screen turns off after 1 min

Dec 4, 2021
Hi guys,

I've just recently built my new pc, except for the gpu which is the PowerColor R9 390X DEVIL - which is 5-6years old.

When I turn on the computer, straight away the gpu would make a horrible loud grinding noise and this is not coming from the fan side of the gpu! The display would show up and currently I'm still in the process of trying to install windows but then the display would cut off at 1 minute and I would then get the message on my display saying no hdmi devices found. (I've even left it for 30mins but noise continues and nothing comes up)

I'm not sure if its something to do with the cabling tbh quite honest, from the psu to gpu, as it has a 1x 6 pin and a x1 4 pin. (Connected two seperate cables from psu to power the gpu to fill all inserts)

Please help me, if you need any further details let me know and I will gladly provide!

Here is my build:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: Aorus b550 Elite ax v2
PSU: TX-M Series CORSAIR 650w
RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance pro 3600mhz
GPU: PowerColor R9 390X DEVIL

Many thanks

Dec 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The PSU in the build is brand new? The minimum power requirement suggested by Powercolor is 750W(specs tab on the link provided), I'd have added a little to that number for headroom, assume 850W.

The PSU in the build is brand new? The minimum power requirement suggested by Powercolor is 750W(specs tab on the link provided), I'd have added a little to that number for headroom, assume 850W.
Hi! Yes the PSU is brand new. Do you think its because of this? lack of power? do i need to buy a brand new psu 750w?

thank you for your hlep