[SOLVED] GPU is Not Getting Power

Aug 14, 2021
Hey! I recently bought a new notebook (Asus Vivobook 15) with GeForce MX 330 GPU. The problem is my GPU is not powering up. I installed msi afterburner a couple days ago and found that the power consumption of the GPU is 0 W. Even though the power consumption is 0 somehow the temp, usage and clock speed of the card are constantly varying. I have updated my drivers but the problem is still persistent. I'm attaching the screenshots for reference. Is there any way to fix this?

https://prnt.sc/1okbr9k

Solution
Apart from testing gpu performance in Ubuntu to rule out if Windows needs reinstalling, im out of ideas. Im not experienced with Ubuntu but know it can be booted and ran from usb stick, and search results suggests there are ways to test gpu if you want to look yourself.
Aug 14, 2021
Yeah its not. I then tried Asus GPU tweak II for increasing the GPU memory clock. It did increase the clock speed but it didnt changed the power consumption. However there was no difference in performance with the increased clock.

Aug 14, 2021
Got your point, I checked for frames with both the igpu and gpu which are almost similar infact the igpu gives me a constant fps whereas dedicated gpu isnt very constant.

Aug 14, 2021
It was indeed power throttling, i was already planning to buy a cooling pad.
I turned off the throttling using throttlestop to improve the performance, it did improve the browsing and other multi tasking experience but there was not much effect on fps.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Throttlestop won't help if gpu is also throttling. Laptop cooling solutions are notorious, sharing the same heat dissipation method. Cooling pads are useless if don't insulate the edges so do attempt doing that. Too much air escapes otherwise.

Aug 14, 2021
I dont think the gpu is throttling as its not getting any' power (constant 0W irrespective of the temps). Is it a manufacturing defect? Coz even with igpu i should be getting decent fps in cs go at low settings but my laptop is barely hitting about 20-21. Yeah i agree the cooling pads aren't very effective either so I'll try insulating the sides, thanks for the suggestion.

Aug 14, 2021
Alright so i got the cooling pad and it seems to be working fine, the temps are under 90 almost always but there isnt any visible effect on the gaming performance. The GPU is still not drawing any power and the performance is still quite poor.

Aug 14, 2021
Can anyone help me out with this condition, I'm thinking of visiting the service center tomorrow and informing them about the situation (the last option) is there any other thing i can do/check before going there?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Apart from testing gpu performance in Ubuntu to rule out if Windows needs reinstalling, im out of ideas. Im not experienced with Ubuntu but know it can be booted and ran from usb stick, and search results suggests there are ways to test gpu if you want to look yourself.

Solution