[SOLVED] Gpu issue where is sounds like its not getting enough power, changed PSU and its still happening

aidenilbuck

Reputable
Aug 18, 2018
Hey, so i recently moved with ym system and after putting it back together my monitors weren't detecting a signal and the Gpu started making this noise Its quite quiet. View: https://imgur.com/gallery/CLVtuah

this has happened before with this GPU and i replaced the PSu and it fixed.
i got a new PSU from warranty and its still happening.
i got the GPU around 2017 but it was part of a prebuilt pc.

EDIT: took the GPu over to a friends place, it worked fine in his system now im unsure about whats wrong with my computer.
any knowledge would be great
any tips?

My specs are

CPU:Intel i7-8700
MB: ASrock z390
16gb ram
PSU :EVGA 550 G3
GPU"RTX 2070
any tips on how i can fix this woudl be great, cause id rather not have to spend an arm and a leg to get a new GPU

UPDATE: tried out and older set of gpus , one had the same issue as my current 2070 where it sounds like its not getting enough power.

Last edited:
Solution
If you moved your system and it mysteriously quit working, either something came loose or shorted out during the move. Check that all things are fully seated in their respective connectors, check that none of the cables got pinched and none of the spare connectors are dangling near anything they could short on.

Since you have an i7-8700, you could remove the GPU and see if you get signal from the IGP to confirm that the rest of your system is still working.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Maybe try a different outlet? Tough to say, your psu is a little under gunned for the 2070. I think Nvidia states minimum 650W.

But if it was working fine before it just be something that happened during the move or something in the house.

I'd confirm everything is properly plugged in, double check everything. After that try a few different outlets.

aidenilbuck

Reputable
Aug 18, 2018
Maybe try a different outlet? Tough to say, your psu is a little under gunned for the 2070. I think Nvidia states minimum 650W.

But if it was working fine before it just be something that happened during the move or something in the house.

I'd confirm everything is properly plugged in, double check everything. After that try a few different outlets.

i tried different port and different outlet same thing

im not so sure on the issue with PSU not being strong enough since getting this psu worked before.
would getting the little beep speaker help? since i cant even get to BIOS. i just get no signal

aidenilbuck

Reputable
Aug 18, 2018

Edited my original post, it worked in another system, could it be my board? and would an internal beep speaker give me a code that tells me what's up?

InvalidError

Titan
If you moved your system and it mysteriously quit working, either something came loose or shorted out during the move. Check that all things are fully seated in their respective connectors, check that none of the cables got pinched and none of the spare connectors are dangling near anything they could short on.

Since you have an i7-8700, you could remove the GPU and see if you get signal from the IGP to confirm that the rest of your system is still working.

Solution

aidenilbuck

Reputable
Aug 18, 2018
If you haven't gone in BIOS to set the IGP to disabled, all that should be needed is to remove your GPU and plug the monitor into one of the motherboard outputs.

If you did mess around with the BIOS and the IGP ended up disabled for whatever reason, you may need to clear CMOS to re-enable the IGP.
so just have everything plugged in, have the CPU removed from the mother board plug a monitor into the Motherboard ports and turn on?

aidenilbuck

Reputable
Aug 18, 2018
You need the CPU to go anywhere :)

As I wrote earlier, if you didn't mess around in BIOS, the switch to IGP outputs should be automatic when you remove the GPU.
So i reinstalled my CPU and everything, i plug in my monitor to the mother board and im just getting no signal. i dont remember changing anything in BIOS , but i also remember the times that ive accidently plugged my Monitors into my MOtherboard and also getting no signal, this was back when my computer worked.

aidenilbuck

Reputable
Aug 18, 2018
Most BIOSes automatically disable the IGP when a GPU is installed, so no display from motherboard outputs in that case is usually expected. If you still get nothing after removing the GPU, give the CMOS reset a shot.
Ive done it, booted it up, see my desktop. everything seems normal even without my GPU in it
Should i just get amore powerful PSU since the black friday sales are going on now?
also for PSu does anything outside of Wattage and gold/silver+ really matter to quality. i know that some have more slots allowing for more complex set ups. But i dont plan on using multiple cards or anything. so is there a difference in quality between brands or anything?

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Ive done it, booted it up, see my desktop. everything seems normal even without my GPU in it
Good, now at least you know the rest of your PC is working fine.

Next thing I'd to is update the BIOS to latest if it isn't already installed. With some luck, it may contain some stability enhancements that could be enough to get the GPU working again.

A 550W PSU should be enough for a GTX2070, albeit possibly on the tight side and most of EVGA's PSUs are decent apart from the 80+ basic models. Without an oscilloscope to investigate whether anything funny is happening with the PSU, the only way to find out whether a better slightly higher-powered PSU would help is to try one and see what happens.

aidenilbuck

Reputable
Aug 18, 2018
Good, now at least you know the rest of your PC is working fine.

Next thing I'd to is update the BIOS to latest if it isn't already installed. With some luck, it may contain some stability enhancements that could be enough to get the GPU working again.

A 550W PSU should be enough for a GTX2070, albeit possibly on the tight side and most of EVGA's PSUs are decent apart from the 80+ basic models. Without an oscilloscope to investigate whether anything funny is happening with the PSU, the only way to find out whether a better slightly higher-powered PSU would help is to try one and see what happens.
so i did as the manufacturer said to update bios, https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=Windows11
but as it runs the dialog box and fully scans my computer the box shows 2-3 lines of code for no time at all, then it closes so i cant read what it says.
its supposed to go as described in the post. now im worried for my computer. i sent an email to them.

InvalidError

Titan
The tool must have run into an error such as wrong board version and quitting. You may need to open a command-line interface prompt (cmd.exe) and start the update tool from there to see what it is saying, assuming it uses the parent window's console when available to dump its text instead of one of its own.

aidenilbuck

Reputable
Aug 18, 2018
how would i run it in cmd?
i tried dragging and dropping it into a xommand prompt but it still does the same
i cant see how it would be wrong board version i got it from the manufactureres website and from the correct page for z390

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
If you drag-and-drop something on cmd.exe, all it does is tell cmd.exe to start the thing you dropped on it and it immediately closes when whatever you dropped on it closes.

You need to open the cmd prompt and then old-school CD your way to wherever asrom is, then type 'asrom' to start it. Hopefully, ASROM will dump its output into the existing window instead of creating its own.

Most UEFI BIOSes have the BIOS update tool built directly in the BIOS itself. All you need to do in that case is dump the image files on a FAT32 thumb-drive, reboot and go to the BIOS' self-update tool.

aidenilbuck

Reputable
Aug 18, 2018
you've lost me, so i need to get to where its located in my computer ( its a folder on my desktop) and run it in there?
i dont know how to do that but ill try looking on google

figured it out is says
Reading flash ........... Done
- ME Data size checking. ok
-ffs checksums ........ ok
4- Error: ROM file ROMID is not compatible with existing BIOS ROMID

also im worried to turn off my computer in case it bricks it. so im not sure about the other way

InvalidError

Titan
Looks like you downloaded the wrong BIOS or need to update to some other interim version before updating to latest. Check that you downloaded the BIOS from the correct product support page and if you did, check update notes for prerequisite minimum BIOS version that you may need to update to first.

aidenilbuck

Reputable
Aug 18, 2018
Looks like you downloaded the wrong BIOS or need to update to some other interim version before updating to latest. Check that you downloaded the BIOS from the correct product support page and if you did, check update notes for prerequisite minimum BIOS version that you may need to update to first.
Thanks ill look at it.Update, decided to buy a EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G1+, 80 Plus Gold 850W since it was on sale for like 50$ off. ill see if that fixes it before doing any more BIOS shenanigains

Last edited:

aidenilbuck

Reputable
Aug 18, 2018
So its all up and running now, after getting a new PSU, anything i need to do in BIOS from reseting cmos or am i good to go now that i have my GPU back in
\

Last edited: