[SOLVED] GPU keeps getting forgotten after each reboot

Nov 2, 2019
Hi all, wonder if anyone can assist?

Ever since Ive done a clean installation of my GPU driver and Windows 10 the latter keeps rediscovering the GPU after each reboot or when I turn the machine on for the day. This affects the GPU tweak tool as well as it loads with an error on startup asking for the VGA driver to be installed. After a few seconds the GPU is recognizerd and everything is back to normal.

What I notice is that while Windows is booting up the device disconnect - reconnect sounds are playing in the background as if the OS only just recognized the GPU.

The GeForce drivers were uninstalled before using safe mode and the display driver uninstaller tool, no changes. The integrated graphics card is disabled and turned off in BIOS and the machine only prioritizes the GPU. Naturally all the drivers are up to date.

Connectionswithin the tower are also fine, I've redone and sorted the cabling to make sure there is no damage or any knots / bends. The GPU also doesnt overheat and everything else in the system is relatively new (The motherboard being only 2 months old) and have no issues whatsoever.

Specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

BIOS: 2417 (type: UEFI)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16230MB RAM

Page File: 12839MB used, 18239MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Miracast: Not Available

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

DirectX Database Version: Unknown

DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Type: Full Device (POST)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1E07&SUBSYS_86681043&REV_A1

Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]

Device Problem Code: No Problem

Driver Problem Code: Unknown

Display Memory: 19164 MB

Dedicated Memory: 11049 MB

Shared Memory: 8115 MB

Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor Name: ZOWIE XL LCD (HDMI)

Monitor Model: ZOWIE XL LCD

Monitor Id: BNQ7F4C

Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (59.951Hz)

Output Type: HDMI

One thing I might add is the device events, where it shows how Windows does a reinstall each time I boot up. The screenshot shows today's info but it repeats each time I booted up since Windows was reinstalled in September.

View: https://i.imgur.com/tYw3Wke.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Well you should never disable on-board graphics in BIOS. Better leave it on auto!
Tried DDU to uninstall graphics driver and clean re-install it?
How many pci-e slots your mobo supports? If at least 2 then try switching slots!
You can try to reinstall windows, maybe even to Win7 and check if problem is fixed.
If not then it might be Mobo's fault or RTX gpu fault because they almost all are buggy.
Also that could be Win10 October buggy-update fault.
You can send it to warranty if nothing else helps.
Nov 1, 2019
Well you should never disable on-board graphics in BIOS. Better leave it on auto!
Tried DDU to uninstall graphics driver and clean re-install it?
How many pci-e slots your mobo supports? If at least 2 then try switching slots!
You can try to reinstall windows, maybe even to Win7 and check if problem is fixed.
If not then it might be Mobo's fault or RTX gpu fault because they almost all are buggy.
Also that could be Win10 October buggy-update fault.
You can send it to warranty if nothing else helps.

Solution