Question GPU made loud noise now blank screen

anik027

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Hello guys, few days ago my motherboard got short circuit issue. I got it fixed from a repair shop. After setting it up (I think from next day) I heard a loud noise (like your phones vibration makes but continuously without interruption) coming from CPU, so I instantly shut down my PC and started it again, same noise, shut it again started this time no noise. After using 2 days I found out it only happens when I start my PC after few hours break (next day morning after sleep) and that noise goes off just a minute or two after start up. So today I opened my CPU to find out the culprit. It was the GPU. So I cleaned its fan and set it up again but this time the noise was higher and there was blank display but GPU was running. After that I changed to integrated GPU, it also showed no blank display few times but all after I got my display from integrated GPU. Now I know I need to check the GPU first if it is ok or not. But I never heard/saw anything like this before 😑. And, before repairing motherboard someone warned me that motherboard gets graphics issue if repaired but it's a Z97x motherboard and I don't think it's possible to find that series in my country in 2020. Now the thing is does anyone have any idea why my GPU was making that kind of noise, is it something to do with repaired motherboard, should I stick a new GPU with this repaired motherboard?

One more thing CPU-Z is showing the integrated GPU as 'Microsoft basic display adapter' But I think it should be showing Intel UHD 6** or something like this! Also, I'm getting very low fps in any low graphics game but it was better before, with integrated GPU. OR maybe its those external GPU driver doing this. 😐

Here is my full configuration:
Processor:- Intel Core i7 4790
Motherboard :- Biostar Z97x gaming commander
Gpu:- GALAX GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti EXOC 4 GB DDR5
Ram:- Avexir 4+4+8 gb @1600mhz
PSU:- Thermaltake Smart SE-630W semi modular.

***After almost 12 hours I stick that GPU again and it's working now but I'm still getting that noise like before.
And here is a video of that noise, if someone can figure out the issue.

Last edited:

anik027

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
When your motherboard shorted out was your GPU and other components you had within your pc connected?
Yes my PC was running, and I was playing games when it just instantly turned off. After that I tried to turn it on but the motherboard was getting power and losing power every second, so I searched google and it told me that can be a short circuit issue. So I got it repaired which cost around 50$.

anik027

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Change that PSU as soon as possible. It might not be the root of your issue but it was a below average PSU when it was new, imagine now that it has degraded.
Buy a quality PSU and not just any cheap one you can find. It is the heart of your system and if the heart is bad, it can cause problems everywhere.
I know, but before this GPU I had an AMD r9 280 which was power hungry and I didn't had enough money, so I had to take this, otherwise I could have gone with a better low watt PSU with that budget. But anyway I uploaded video of that noise can u check that.

anik027

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Hello guys, a few days ago my motherboard got a short circuit issue. I got it fixed from a repair shop. After setting it up (I think from next day) I am hearing a loud noise coming from my GPU. It doesn't always happen, only happens when I start my PC after a few hours of break, and the fan runs smoothly from after 2 minute of start up. Also, if I power on and shut it down after a few sec (I mean just after the noise starts) and wait for a few minutes and start up again there is no noise.

Here is my full configuration:
Processor:- Intel Core i7 4790
Motherboard :- Biostar Z97x gaming commander
Gpu:- GALAX GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti EXOC 4 GB DDR5
Ram:- Avexir 4+4+8 gb @1600mhz
PSU:- Thermaltake Smart SE-630W semi modular.