[SOLVED] GPU missing after Windows 10 1903 Update

AlanMattano

Honorable
Jun 25, 2015
Hello,
After the latest Windows 10 1903 update, my GPU 1080Ti looks like is not working. lights are on and small resolution.

• I try CD driver to reinstall but did not work as a fix.
  • Show hidden devices is selected on Device Manager window.
  • The GPU does not show up in my devices manager list at all. Nor in grey, nor as NVIDIA card and unknown device, not at all.
  • There is a generic VGA "Bus PCI 1, dispositivo 0, función 0": is that the 1080Ti but with incorrect drivers??
  • Monitor 4k is attached to GPU but running FullHD and second monitor is not shown at all.
  • I try to Update that particular device driver choosing from a compatible hardware list and choosing the 1080Ti but fails: "La linea requerida no esta en el INF" the requested line is not in the INF

Don't know what to try

Solution
Okay...I will get back to you, but for the time being, can you restore back your OS to an earlier date, before this issue started ? Also, try using the DDU tool to completely re-install the drivers in a clean way. Do this in SAFE MODE.

You can also check the Device Manager settings in safe mode, to see what your system is displaying here for the GPU. https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Also, please provide FULL PC specs, including the make/model of your Motherboard. Does it support onboard graphics ?

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Hello,
After the latest Windows 10 1903 update, my GPU 1080Ti looks like is not working. lights are on and small resolution.

• I try CD driver to reinstall but did not work as a fix.
  • Show hidden devices is selected on Device Manager window.
  • The GPU does not show up in my devices manager list at all. Nor in grey, nor as NVIDIA card and unknown device, not at all.
  • There is a generic VGA "Bus PCI 1, dispositivo 0, función 0": is that the 1080Ti but with incorrect drivers??
  • Monitor 4k is attached to GPU but running FullHD and second monitor is not shown at all.
  • I try to Update that particular device driver choosing from a compatible hardware list and choosing the 1080Ti but fails: "La linea requerida no esta en el INF" the requested line is not in the INF
Don't know what to try
Have you tried installing the latest drivers from NVIDIA? or from Geforce Experience?

AlanMattano

Honorable
Jun 25, 2015
Ok, for the download it asks the Windows driver type: Standard or DCH ?

DCH drivers cannot be installed over a standard system, and Standard drivers cannot be installed over a DCH system.

To confirm the type of system you have, locate Driver Type under the System Information menu in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

I was unable to to confirm the type of system. The NVIDIA Control Panel display settings are not available.

Standard or DCH ?

There is a generic VGA "Bus PCI 1, dispositivo 0, función 0": is that the 1080Ti but with incorrect drivers??

No, first check the DEVICE MANAGER settings, under the "Display Adapters" entry. What does it say here ? "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" ? Does it have a Yellow triangle exclamation mark, next to it ?

Does the entry also show a CODE 43 ERROR of some sort ?

Are you having a prebuilt OEM system ? If yes, then you need the DCH version. Else, make sure you are installing the GAME ready drivers/GRD, and not the Creator version/CRD. Also, there are 2 driver types, DCH and Standard. Which one are you trying to install now ?

As you already know, DCH drivers cannot be installed over Standard Drivers, and Standard Drivers cannot be installed over DCH Drivers. The choice must be made after a cleaning via DDU.

To check which display driver type you need, right-click over the Windows desktop -> select NVIDIA Control Panel -> click on the System Information link on the bottom left hand corner of the NVIDIA Control Panel -> look at text that follows “Driver Type”. You should see one of the following : DCH or Standard, assuming you are able to install the drivers.

AlanMattano

Honorable
Jun 25, 2015
Thx @Metal Messiah.

Are you having a prebuilt OEM system ?

No. Is a classic home-built desktop PC. I build by myself and was working perfectly until Windows 10 update. I´m a game developer. So I presume I installed choosing Studio Drivers , but I do not remember.

What does it say here ? "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" ? Does it have a Yellow triangle exclamation mark, next to it ?

Here there is a screenshot of DEVICE MANAGER settings, under the "Display Adapters"

Detail image link

right-click over the Windows desktop -> select NVIDIA Control Panel

There is no NVIDIA Control Panel by pressing right-click over the Windows desktop. But I went to the old control panel and I select NVIDIA Control Panel. And the message is Nvidia graphic card is not detected.

Control panel error detail image link

So I try to Update that particular device driver with yellow mark choosing from a compatible hardware list and choosing the 1080Ti but fails: "La linea requerida no esta en el INF" the requested line is not in the INF

Screenshot error message

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay...I will get back to you, but for the time being, can you restore back your OS to an earlier date, before this issue started ? Also, try using the DDU tool to completely re-install the drivers in a clean way. Do this in SAFE MODE.

You can also check the Device Manager settings in safe mode, to see what your system is displaying here for the GPU. https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Also, please provide FULL PC specs, including the make/model of your Motherboard. Does it support onboard graphics ?

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanMattano
Solution
Also, NVIDIA has a service running on your computer which manages the display driver. It provides support to your operating system and is basically a middleware between your NVIDIA hardware and your operating system. There are cases where this service is stopped and because of this, the computer fails to detect your NVIDIA hardware. Follow these steps::

• Press Windows + R, type “services.msc” in the dialogue box and press Enter.
  • Navigate through all the services until you find NVIDIA Display Driver Service. Right-click it and select Properties.
  • Set the Startup type to "automatic", and then press Apply.
  • Once you have made sure the service is up and running, check if the error message is still there or not.
Y8imnEx.jpg

Reactions: AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Honorable
Jun 25, 2015
Okay...I will get back to you, but for the time being, can you restore back your OS to an earlier date, before this issue started ?

No, because somehow the disk space configuration was as little as possible. So I lost the old setup. I restored immediately to a better value moving the slider to the left (share as much as possible memory). SSD 1tb only for Windows. I do not understand why was so low.

Old but good: Was working very well! not onboard graphic. CPU I presume yes.
i7 2600k | Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H | 24Gb ram (4x4Gb + 8x8Gb) | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti | Asus Trix Soar (audio) | 1100W 80plus | 2 monitors attach to the GPU 1) TV 4K and 2) HD monitor.

I'm following your instructions WIP:

service running link

Last edited: