Question Gpu/Monitor "glitches"

mehboring

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
I bought a new gpu & monitor a few days back; 7600 rx & philips evnia 24M1N3200ZS. Since then I've noticed an "issue" that happens every few hours, basically the screen/part of it "glitches" a bit and repeats whatever happened earlier for half a second. I haven't had anything similar happen before & attempts to look for similar issues were... difficult, for obvious reasons.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

a new gpu & monitor a few days back
Easy to test which of the two is culprit, monitor or GPU;
Screen capture a video (e.g with OBS Studio) and look if the artifacting shows up on the recorded video as well or not. If it doesn't issue is with monitor (since screen record is made before image leaves GPU). But if it shows up on recorded video as well, issue is with GPU.

mehboring

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

Easy to test which of the two is culprit, monitor or GPU;
Screen capture a video (e.g with OBS Studio) and look if the artifacting shows up on the recorded video as well or not. If it doesn't issue is with monitor (since screen record is made before image leaves GPU). But if it shows up on recorded video as well, issue is with GPU.
750W Seasonic G12 GC-750. It's new (the entire pc is, about a month back; gpu/monitor 3 days back). That's a good idea tbh, I'll have to do that. It didn't cross my mind, I appreciate it.

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
750W Seasonic G12 GC-750.
That PSU is on the side of low quality. More like between mediocre and low quality. So, not that great. Better would be Seasonic Core series (mediocre quality), while i'd personally suggest Seasonic Focus series (good quality), Seasonic Vertex series (between good and great quality) or better yet: Seasonic PRIME series (great quality).

(My rigs are powered by 2x PRIME and 1x Focus units. Full specs with pics in my sig.)

Wattage wise, you have ample of it. Even 650W unit would be enough. But PSU build quality just isn't there. So, i'd look towards better quality unit.
Other good/great quality units (other than the Seasonic ones i already listed), are: Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi and Super Flower Leadex Gold/Platinum/Titanium.

PSU may or may not be behind the issue you're seeing. Since it's the ripple (especially high ripple) from PSU, that causes component instability and that instability can cause all sorts of issues, BSoD, system freezes, GPU artifacts, you name it.
So, for system stability, especially when OC'ing CPU/GPU, you'd want PSU with as low ripple as possible. But cheap/lower quality PSUs just aren't built that well.

That's a good idea tbh, I'll have to do that. It didn't cross my mind, I appreciate it.
This narrows things down quite a lot. Also, with video recorded, you can slow down the video or view it frame-by-frame (e.g with VLC media player) to see what is exactly going on.

Reactions: mehboring

mehboring

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
That PSU is on the side of low quality. More like between mediocre and low quality. So, not that great. Better would be Seasonic Core series (mediocre quality), while i'd personally suggest Seasonic Focus series (good quality), Seasonic Vertex series (between good and great quality) or better yet: Seasonic PRIME series (great quality).
Yeah, it was the best I could get right now given the budget I had. The alternatives were worse lol. The monitor was basically over the budget/unplanned, mostly forced since gpu didn't support my old one & converter didn't work.
PSU may or may not be behind the issue you're seeing.
It's certainly possible, but I've ran the setup for a month w/o any issue showing up w/ integrated gpu (ryzen 7 7600), and it's showed up even when simply browsing - like 4 or 5 times in 3 days, every couple of hours. I could run it on igpu as well to see if it happens, but that seems more of a hassle when obs can pinpoint the issue.

mehboring

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
I've had a similar-ish glitch happen right now, and it didn't show up on the video. It's not exactly the same though, so I'll double check.
While running obs, I did get something else as well: driver timeout lol. Hasn't happened until now (hopefully won't in the future), but it seems like it's a frequent issue with amd gpus. Sigh.