Hi

Here are my specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: Phantom Gaming Vega 56
RAM: (4 x 4) G Skill Ram clocked 3000 mhz
Motherboard: Asrock B450M Pro4
Storage: An HDD and SSD
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 550W G2, 80 + Gold Rated

When I first got my GPU, it worked fine for playing games and stuff but recently thats not the case

I had notices that when my GPU reached somewhere from 50-60 degrees, my GPU would slow down and fluctuate for the Clock speed, Power limit, and other specs (Which i assume correlate with one another), causing my game to drop as much as 50 fps, especially during fights

The only way to stop this fluctuation was to increase the GPU Fan speed so the temperatures would be kept at 40-50 degrees through MSI Afterburner
And the fans get decently loud, more than at comfortable level i guess

I have only really tried 2 things so far including:
  1. Changing the Drivers
  2. Lowering graphics in games

I really don't know where else to go from here, anyone have suggestions, reasons or possible fixes about this

(Note: I did not overclock my GPU or CPU ever while having it)

Solution
The GPU definitely shouldn't drop from 1500 mhz to maybe 500 mhz in a quick second in a fight because it reaches a temperature of maybe 55 degrees
I suppose I was supposed to guess “slow down and fluctuate clock speed” meant 1500-500mhz. One is normal, the other is not. This is where being detailed in your problem helps find a solution. Power consumption of the CPU is around 100-110 watts while your card is around 310-315 watts. Add in whatever else you have and you are pushing the PSU pretty close to capacity at a sustained rate. You mentioned using the PSU previously, how old is it. Typically a PSU is good for the warranty period, it can “work fine” till it doesn’t because the capacitors degrade over time and usage. Just...
Hi

Here are my specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: Phantom Gaming Vega 56
RAM: (4 x 4) G Skill Ram clocked 3000 mhz
Motherboard: Asrock B450M Pro4
Storage: An HDD and SSD
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 550W G2, 80 + Gold Rated

When I first got my GPU, it worked fine for playing games and stuff but recently thats not the case

I had notices that when my GPU reached somewhere from 50-60 degrees, my GPU would slow down and fluctuate for the Clock speed, Power limit, and other specs (Which i assume correlate with one another), causing my game to drop as much as 50 fps, especially during fights

The only way to stop this fluctuation was to increase the GPU Fan speed so the temperatures would be kept at 40-50 degrees through MSI Afterburner
And the fans get decently loud, more than at comfortable level i guess

I have only really tried 2 things so far including:
  1. Changing the Drivers
  2. Lowering graphics in games
I really don't know where else to go from here, anyone have suggestions, reasons or possible fixes about this

(Note: I did not overclock my GPU or CPU ever while having it)
Every modern GPU has a boost setting that “overclock” the GPU from factory. They all have built in settings to decrease speed at temperatures above a certain point. Your only solution to maintain the highest speeds are better cooling.

Jan 12, 2020
That might actually explain it, but I had used the same power supply last year and it worked perfectly fine but in a different pc with different specs but the same power supply and graphics card.
Is it that I switched over to a new pc that might have affected this?

The GPU definitely shouldn't drop from 1500 mhz to maybe 500 mhz in a quick second in a fight because it reaches a temperature of maybe 55 degrees
I suppose I was supposed to guess “slow down and fluctuate clock speed” meant 1500-500mhz. One is normal, the other is not. This is where being detailed in your problem helps find a solution. Power consumption of the CPU is around 100-110 watts while your card is around 310-315 watts. Add in whatever else you have and you are pushing the PSU pretty close to capacity at a sustained rate. You mentioned using the PSU previously, how old is it. Typically a PSU is good for the warranty period, it can “work fine” till it doesn’t because the capacitors degrade over time and usage. Just because it used to work, even in the same system, doesn’t rule it out as the problem. Could be the GPU as well.

Solution
Consider changing the power supply. You were pushing the power supply to it's limits. Power supplies will age and get weaker over time. It could be yours after being pushed to it's limits long enough is giving you a warning instead of blowing up.

I sold mine a while back, but when I was running my Vega 56, and with a 1700x, I was using a 750 watt power supply.