[SOLVED] GPU options for 4k

jxburton20

Prominent
Sep 14, 2018
Ordered a new 4k monitor to add to my 2x 1080 screens. Was wondering, to get the most out of games, would I need to upgrade my GPU also. This is my current one:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo OC 8GB

What would be the best option? Go higher like a 2060+? Or could I just sli with the same or another 1080?

• In the US
  • Budget is not really an issue, but I like my current card so would hate to have to ditch it...that, and I would probably need to upgrade power supplies for anything higher than a 1080ti.

Note: I don't play across screens simultaneously, just a huge multitasker.

Thanks

Solution
4K at what target frame rate? GTX1080 can certainly run some titles at 4K with reduced settings. A lot of the more recent titles will take some fiddling to get in the 50FPS+ range.

Really only one recommendation for 4K in my opinion. 2080Ti. 2080 Super will do though.

Really comes down to what you play, and whether or not you are satisfied with the current performance levels.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
4K at what target frame rate? GTX1080 can certainly run some titles at 4K with reduced settings. A lot of the more recent titles will take some fiddling to get in the 50FPS+ range.

Really only one recommendation for 4K in my opinion. 2080Ti. 2080 Super will do though.

Really comes down to what you play, and whether or not you are satisfied with the current performance levels.

Reactions: jxburton20
Solution

jxburton20

Prominent
Sep 14, 2018

I'm not an fps heckler but I would prefer near 50+. Since more games are supporting sli, would adding a second 1080 be an option?

DankM

BANNED
Mar 8, 2020
2080 Super
Brad Chacos/IDGTHE BEST 4K GRAPHICS CARD
Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Super Overclocked
$623.12
See It
on Amazon (Prime Eligible)

Your best option for PC gaming at 4K resolution on a standard 60Hz display is the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super. Its price theoretically starts at $700, but Nvidia’s own Founders Edition models have dried up. Most custom options start around $720 or $730 and only get more expensive as you add features. You can occasionally find custom models on sale for around $700, however.
That’s a lot of money, but it buys you stellar 4K gaming performance. The GeForce RTX 2080 Super achieves the hallowed 60 frames per second in most modern games with all standard graphics settings configured to maximum or near-maximum. It’s fast.
Brad Chacos/IDG
Ray tracing performance at 1440p resolution (NOT 4K) in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
Like other RTX 20-series graphics card, the GeForce RTX 2080 Super contains dedicated hardware for real-time ray tracing tasks, but the strenuous cutting-edge eye candy absolutely tanks frame rates and will often require a drop to lower resolution. If possible you’ll want to pair it with Nvidia’s performance-enhancing Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) technology to gain back some of those lost frames, though DLSS can negatively impact visual quality at times. Some games appear noticeably blurrier with DLSS enabled.
Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Super is around 780$.
AMD’s rival Radeon graphics cards lack real-time ray tracing capabilities. The most powerful Radeon option, which we’ll discuss shortly, isn’t at the GeForce RTX 2080 Super’s performance level. If you want to drive a 4K/60 display with minimal visual compromises, the GeForce RTX 2080 Super is your best bet.
Don’t confuse the RTX 2080 Super with its predecessor, the non-Super RTX 2080. You’ll still find non-Super versions on sale all over the place for prices close to the Super version, but the older model is slower—and barely faster than the $500 GeForce RTX 2070 Super. Don’t be a sucker.

Reactions: jxburton20