[SOLVED] GPU probably died, PC didn't even boot. What happened?

Feb 23, 2020
Hello.
Less than a week ago I got the TUL VTX3D HD6770. The card required a 6-pin PCI-E power cable, so I went and bought a 2x Molex -> PCI-E adapter. When I turned on the PC (by using a screwdriver) the GPU fan started spinning at a fast speed (pretty normal I suppose) and then switched off. However, on my 2nd try it popped and sparks started flying out from the direction of the HDMI port (I used a DVI -> HDMI cable) and I switched off the PSU and disconnected the extension cord from the wall outlet.
Now - I got the card in a (apparently) very good condition with no damages what-so-ever. What could cause the 'explosion'?

Here's the only damage I could find: https://ibb.co/9pwNfk1
and here's a picture of the sparks:
https://ibb.co/RDDSkwt

I'd really like to use the card because it's a great upgrade from the Quadro FX 580 I have now. Is it possible for the card to work?
Thank you.

Solution
Well, that sucks. I mean, the PSU is working fine. I'm still on my guard though, I should think about buying a fire extinguisher lol

So the card is dead?

How do you know the PSU is working fine? How did you measure the wattage coming through the molex adapters? How are you measuring ripple and voltage regulation at various loads? This is a very old PSU and a very old design; that the PC is on and running does not mean it's running fine.

You'll only know if the GPU still works by running the GPU. And not with this PSU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Most likely a garbage PSU. Molex->PCIE adapters should never be used and if your power supply is so poor quality that it doesn't even have a 6-pin connector, a discrete GPU should never have been attempted.

Let's get full specs, not leaving out the exact power supply.

Feb 23, 2020
Most likely a garbage PSU. Molex->PCIE adapters should never be used and if your power supply is so poor quality that it doesn't even have a 6-pin connector, a discrete GPU should never have been attempted.

Let's get full specs, not leaving out the exact power supply.

CPU: i7 - 860
MOBO: ASUS P7H55
RAM: 8GB 1333HZ
PSU: Cooler Master RS-600-AMBA-D3
HDD: Seagate 2,5" 1TB

I had no PCI-E cable because I got it used.

Feb 23, 2020
Well, the PSU isn't as bad as feared. I'd never trust this PSU again, however, and the likeliest cause of damage like this is either PSU-caused or incorrect assembly.

Well, that sucks. I mean, the PSU is working fine. I'm still on my guard though, I should think about buying a fire extinguisher lol

So the card is dead?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

So the card is dead?

How do you know the PSU is working fine? How did you measure the wattage coming through the molex adapters? How are you measuring ripple and voltage regulation at various loads? This is a very old PSU and a very old design; that the PC is on and running does not mean it's running fine.

You'll only know if the GPU still works by running the GPU. And not with this PSU.

Solution
Feb 23, 2020

Thank you.