[SOLVED] GPU reached 100% fans PC restart

Mar 14, 2021
So My pc have some issues lately.
I was using 720p single monitor and 6months after I added a 1080p second monitor I am running dual monitor setup now with my GTX 1650s and the issue started to appear.
When I play games (valorant). The screen would shut down and fans spins 100% (still hearing sound). I had to hard shut down the PC. Sometimes it will restart on its own.

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte H410m-H
CPU: Intel i3-10100 (stock cooler)
RAM: Hyperx Fury 2666mhz 2x8gb
GPU: ASUS TUF 1650super 4gb Gaming OC
PSU: Silverstone ST50F-ES230 500Watts 80+ white
Case Fans: x4 120mm (generic RGB)

What I did:
-Cleaned Case, GPU
-Changed CPU Thermal Paste (i didnt change the GPU paste since its still under warranty)
-Updated Windows, BIOS, Up to date GPU drivers (edit: Im using Geforce experience to clean install)
- Edit: GPU max clock is running at 1965mhz reading on MSI afterburner
-Checked temperature ( I live in a tropical country where our ambient temps at 29-35C)
idle temps at 35-42C (GPU-CPU)
Load temps 65-75 (CPU) and 55-70 (GPU)
so this part here I tried running BurnIn test sometimes it will restart while running or while reaching 70C (GPU)
Tweaked the fan curve running 80-100% when reaching 60-65C
-Checked Bios volts
+5V - 5.100V
+12V- 11.350 to 11.080

problem still persistent.
Please help. Greatly Appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
-Checked Bios volts
+5V - 5.100V
+12V- 11.350 to 11.080
Check 12V with a real multimeter plugged into a spare molex connector, on-board voltage measurements often have poor accuracy. If you see less than 11.4V, 12V is out of spec and may very well be the reason why your computer randomly quits by either freezing, shutting off or rebooting.

Fans go to full speed after crash because their controller is taking some sort of heartbeat signal from somewhere and defaults to 100% when it disappears to minimize the likelihood of overheating damage. Temperature-wise, anything under 80C isn't particularly concerning and shouldn't cause issues unless you are overclocking.

InvalidError

Titan
-Checked Bios volts
+5V - 5.100V
+12V- 11.350 to 11.080
Check 12V with a real multimeter plugged into a spare molex connector, on-board voltage measurements often have poor accuracy. If you see less than 11.4V, 12V is out of spec and may very well be the reason why your computer randomly quits by either freezing, shutting off or rebooting.

Fans go to full speed after crash because their controller is taking some sort of heartbeat signal from somewhere and defaults to 100% when it disappears to minimize the likelihood of overheating damage. Temperature-wise, anything under 80C isn't particularly concerning and shouldn't cause issues unless you are overclocking.

Solution
Mar 14, 2021

also this didnt happen when the Unit is located in an airconditioned room. Is it possible to have higher Wattage due to more heat? thats why the PSU cant handle the wattage anymore?

I sent my Unit to the store for checks. But they are slow on making responses. Didn't even check the PSU voltages.

I'm keen to buy a new PSU (if thats not the problem) these are my choices of PSU that are available on store now.
Checked the PSU tierlist and I think mine belongs to Tier C
Corsair CV550 (not on tier C list but cheaper)
Corsair CV650
Gigabyte P650B
Silverstone ST70F-ES230 (the store offered me this and having doubts on silverstone)

InvalidError

Titan
also this didnt happen when the Unit is located in an airconditioned room. Is it possible to have higher Wattage due to more heat? thats why the PSU cant handle the wattage anymore?
If you didn't have that problem with the PC in a colder room, it could be that some components in the PSU are getting too warm to handle the load without it.

I had an issue with my PC randomly shutting down many years ago and it turned out it was simply because I had forgotten/neglected to clean my PSU's air filter for too many months.

Mar 14, 2021
If you didn't have that problem with the PC in a colder room, it could be that some components in the PSU are getting too warm to handle the load without it.

I had an issue with my PC randomly shutting down many years ago and it turned out it was simply because I had forgotten/neglected to clean my PSU's air filter for too many months.

I always clean my dust filters. its just that its really hot in our area due to tropical climate we average 25-35C a day.
Will check on this too after I get my unit back. Will also add fans to the case and change the stock cooler.

Mar 14, 2021

Hi,
Thanks for this.
So here's what I did. I borrowed a multimeter and checked the PSU but it turns out okay. So I checked my wall power voltage and its recorded 190-200V which is lower than our normal 220V standard (undervoltage). So I asked my Electrical Engineer friend what to check so He suggested to buy a PSU with lower input voltage ( since my current only at 180-260V) because my current one will shut off when volts dip down. Asked our local electric company to check our Voltages. I bought a new PSU (Gigabyte P650B) with rated input voltage of 110-240V now +12V is recording 12.1V on bios (of course this is from Tier C list). So far its been 3 days running heavy loads on GPU no shut-off.

Thanks!