Question GPU shutdown while gaming

Apr 4, 2020
Hi all,

I haven't really stressed my pc in a big way, but decided to play the steam game Hunt: Showdown a few days ago. At random moments my pc shuts down and reboots, mostly during loading screen.

Seeing other similar posts like mine, I saw that many times the underlaying reason could be the PSU needing a replacement, but I doubt that'd fix it. I've downlaoded a GPU/CPU stresstest and succesfully managed to shut down my pc everytime I try it.

Could anyone help me rootcause this issue? Any help would be more than appreaciated :)

Specifications:
PSU: cooler master 550w
CPU: i5 3470 3,4Ghz
GPU: GTX 1060 3GB
RAM: 2x8gb kingston DDR3

Apr 4, 2020
One way of testing its not your GPU by plugging your HMDI cable into motherboard and disconnect the GPU and test it out with an cpu stress test. But it could the the PSU that shutting down your computer do to an fault!
Thanks for the answer! So any normal functioning pc should survive such a stresstest? Ill give it a shot right now. The weird thing is, is that I got to update some drivers and it does survive the stresstest now. I tried the game I was speaking of earlier again and got the same reboot.

So if my GPU survives the stresstest doesnt that mean the PSU is faulty?

Thanks so much for your input!

Thanks for the answer! So any normal functioning pc should survive such a stresstest? Ill give it a shot right now. The weird thing is, is that I got to update some drivers and it does survive the stresstest now. I tried the game I was speaking of earlier again and got the same reboot.

So if my GPU survives the stresstest doesnt that mean the PSU is faulty?

Thanks so much for your input!

My computer used to shut down alot but bought new PSU and motherboard and it worked ever since but many comps have diffrent kinda issues!. So test each hardware to rule them out. So if you have the same result then test the ram out taking one out and then if its the same, Take the other one out and place other one back and do same again!

Reactions: madstok
Apr 4, 2020
My computer used to shut down alot but bought new PSU and motherboard and it worked ever since but many comps have diffrent kinda issues!. So test each hardware to rule them out. So if you have the same result then test the ram out taking one out and then if its the same, Take the other one out and place other one back and do same again!

Well the toughest part is the way of testing it. The stresstest I tried failed in the beginning, but after updating drivers it passed, but still couldnt run the game properly. The weird part of my issue is that it could be going all alright for 30min or more, and suddenly shutdown.

Ill be trying different stresstest

TRENDING THREADS