Question GPU Spikes and Crashes GTA V

Jun 10, 2019
So I have a pc I build about 6 months ago. It has a ryzen 3 2200g, gtx 1060 3gb, 16gb ddr4 2666mhz ram.
Recently GTA V has been crashing quite regularly and then I check the task manager in the performance tab the Video Encoder and 3D spike up. Idk what they are but they are on the GPU tab. It seems when they spike the game crashes so idk what is going on. The temps are fine as I’ve checked they stay under 50°C.
Does anyone know why this is happened or if I can do something?

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Try downloading and running MSI Afterburner as this gives you realtime readings of all your CPU and GPU temp, speed, fanspeed etc.
You have to click on the little settings cog icon when you start it then individually tick which aspects you want displayed on the OSD whilst in game.
You might want to google this for a better explanation as it is a bit vague when you first open it.

Andy

Reactions: YK16
Jun 10, 2019
Try downloading and running MSI Afterburner as this gives you realtime readings of all your CPU and GPU temp, speed, fanspeed etc.
You have to click on the little settings cog icon when you start it then individually tick which aspects you want displayed on the OSD whilst in game.
You might want to google this for a better explanation as it is a bit vague when you first open it.

Andy
Thanks for the advice, I got it and it turns out the CPU is the problem. While playing GTA V my gpu is only on lol 40% load while my CPU load is around 80% to 100%. I’m going to upgrade to one of the new upcoming Ryzen CPU’s to get rid of this problem.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
A current second gen Ryzen 2700X runs GTA V multiplayer just fine as this is the CPU that I have - with around 40 - 50% CPU usage.
Also Battlefield V is only around the same CPU usage but a very high GPU usage with this game.
The 8 cores in the 2700X really are utilised well in some games including this one.

GTA V will run fine with a 2700X and your GTX 1060 but obviously the upcoming 3rd gen Ryzens are a better future investment.
Some of these new ones will need a better mobo too in some cases but the manufacturers' websites will start listing compatibility on an individual basis.

Andy

Reactions: YK16
Jun 10, 2019
A current second gen Ryzen 2700X runs GTA V multiplayer just fine as this is the CPU that I have - with around 40 - 50% CPU usage.
Also Battlefield V is only around the same CPU usage but a very high GPU usage with this game.
The 8 cores in the 2700X really are utilised well in some games including this one.

GTA V will run fine with a 2700X and your GTX 1060 but obviously the upcoming 3rd gen Ryzens are a better future investment.
Some of these new ones will need a better mobo too in some cases but the manufacturers' websites will start listing compatibility on an individual basis.

Andy
I already updated my mobo bios so my one is ready for the 3rd Gen Ryzen. I’m looking to get the Ryzen 5 3500X which will be a big upgrade, in the future I’ll also upgrade my gpu to a 1660 Ti, RX 56 or RTX 2060 depends on prices. I run normal GTA V on good FPS, over 60 fps but I have so many mods installed so it runs on like 30-40fps now.
Thanks for the reply bro