Question GPU stopped working suddenly

Apr 1, 2023
Hi, I have a 9 years old GTX 770 that has stopped working correctly suddenly while I was playing. At first my PC crashed and once restarted there were the infamous red lines all over my screen, also the GPU was having a hard time loading anything from videos to folders. After that I looked this up on forums and given how old the GPU is it just looked like it died (hardware problem). To confirm this apparently I had to check If I kept seeing the red lines on the BIOS menus, which I didn't, so according to the internet it could be a software problem (which seems weird to me because It just cracked while I was playing). I reinstalled the drivers from the official NVIDIA site (tried different versions) but this just made things worse as now the PC would crash after few seconds from start, so now I have to disable de graphic card from the device manager and use the integrated card. I also tried reinstalling windows from boot but after trying all this GPU driver it just goes black screen when I try to boot from a prepared USB (have done this many times before so it shouldn't be a problem on de ISO/USB setup). Another thing that I've noticed that may be relevant is that now for some reason the sleep option from the start menu dissapeared.

So my question is what options do I have? Is the GPU dead? Theres some way I can make sure if it's not? I know it's a <Mod Edit> GPU but lately I just use it for low specs rts or shooters games and the 770 is just good enough for them.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 1, 2023
Windows 10 Home 64 bits
Gigabyte B85M-DS3H
Intel Core i5 4690 CPU 3.5 GHz (4cpu)
8gb ram
Nvidia GTX 770
Intel HD graphics 4600

As for the PSU I will post it when I get home since I need to open the PC to see the model. Also I do agree that it's likely dead, just though to give it a try and ask since I don't need a better card anyway.

Thanks