stripedhornet

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
Hey all.
I just started having this strange issue with my GPU. It's started running warmer at idle, 50-60C and under load it gets up to 70-80+. I'm not worried about the load temps but my GPU usually runs 33-40 idle.
I've looked in MSI Afterburner and turned down everything. I noticed the core and memory clocks are idling above normal. Usually Core Clock idles at 300MHz but is now idling at 1515MHz and Mem is at 7000MHz. I just cleaned my PC yesterday and blew out a ton of dust, also my room isn't that hot. I have to keep the GPU fans on at 75 to keep it cool. I haven't had issues like this before and my card and I've had this GPU since Sep. 2019 which makes me think it's slowly dying, or maybe I just need to put new thermal paste on it. Any help help is much appreciated.

Specs:
FSP CMT520 Case, 3x fans front, 1x fan rear, 360mm AIO up top
Gigabyte RTX 2080 3x Windborne fans
-Latest NVIDIA Drivers and updates
-GPU Scheduling turned off
-GPU Overclock turned off

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Hey all.
I just started having this strange issue with my GPU. It's started running warmer at idle, 50-60C and under load it gets up to 70-80+. I'm not worried about the load temps but my GPU usually runs 33-40 idle.
I've looked in MSI Afterburner and turned down everything. I noticed the core and memory clocks are idling above normal. Usually Core Clock idles at 300MHz but is now idling at 1515MHz and Mem is at 7000MHz. I just cleaned my PC yesterday and blew out a ton of dust, also my room isn't that hot. I have to keep the GPU fans on at 75 to keep it cool. I haven't had issues like this before and my card and I've had this GPU since Sep. 2019 which makes me think it's slowly dying, or maybe I just need to put new thermal paste on it. Any help help is much appreciated.

Specs:
FSP CMT520 Case, 3x fans front, 1x fan rear, 360mm AIO up top
Gigabyte RTX 2080 3x Windborne fans
-Latest NVIDIA Drivers and updates
-GPU Scheduling turned off
-GPU Overclock turned off
That graphics card is quite larger than normal cards, when you cleaned your pc from dust, assuming you used compressed air to blow the dust away, did you make sure to be strict on the graphics card. what i mean is literally sticking the dust off nozzle right up in its business and removing as much dust as you could from the gpu fans and the interior? Might be intake/exaust inbalances with your case fans. If you are sure it has nothing to do with cooling and airflow. Maybe run a virus scan with malwarebytes or kaspersky, whatever floats your boat. There are many, MANY different causes for your issue, but airflow and malware are usually the most common.

stripedhornet

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
Update:
I tried malwarebytes which did not fix the issue. I tried blowing out the GPU again and did not fix it. I updated MB BIOS and all drivers, did not fix. I have ordered some be quiet! Silent Wing 3 fans to replace my stock case fans, hopefully this will help. The only options I think I have left are to reset the PC or take the GPU apart and reapply new thermal paste which I can't do right now.