[SOLVED] GPU touched by metal

Feb 13, 2021
So I had the case of my PC open and I accidentally touched the end of a usb cord to the top of the GPU. Now, it turns on and the fan runs but I get no video output to my monitor. I just got this PC and I am really frustrated with myself, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Solution
The pc was working well before this happened. My gpu is an RTX 2060. I don’t know if it has a backplate
Ok, was the pc powered on when you bumped it? regardless I would first try reseating the graphics card (physically removing and replacing it). If you arent comfortable doing that i can guide you though it.

SATADATA

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
Few questions so I can better help you, did the pc work ok before this happened? do you know the specific model of the gpu/if it has a backplate? I really doubt this would cause the issue especially if your gpu has a backplate.

Feb 13, 2021
Few questions so I can better help you, did the pc work ok before this happened? do you know the specific model of the gpu/if it has a backplate? I really doubt this would cause the issue especially if your gpu has a backplate.
The pc was working well before this happened. My gpu is an RTX 2060. I don’t know if it has a backplate

SATADATA

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
Ok, was the pc powered on when you bumped it? regardless I would first try reseating the graphics card (physically removing and replacing it). If you arent comfortable doing that i can guide you though it.

Solution
Feb 13, 2021
Hey, I seem to have fixed it! I just took out my GPU and put it back in and it works now. Any idea what may have caused this?

SATADATA

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
Yeah, my guess is when you bumped the graphics card it got slightly jostled out of the pcie express slot that it connects to the motherboard with. This wouldve caused the issue you had and can often be fixed be doing exactly what you did. If your issue has been fixed maybe mark the thread as solved as mark the solution so that others can find it if they are having the same problem. Hope I was able to help!

Feb 13, 2021
Yeah, my guess is when you bumped the graphics card it got slightly jostled out of the pcie express slot that it connects to the motherboard with. This wouldve caused the issue you had and can often be fixed be doing exactly what you did. If your issue has been fixed maybe mark the thread as solved as mark the solution so that others can find it if they are having the same problem. Hope I was able to help!
You’re probably right. Thanks so much for your help! I will mark as solved