Question GPU upgrade suggestions from a GTX 960 ?

FamilyFriendly101

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
I currently own a gtx 960 and I've had it for a L O N G while now , I wanna upgrade so I can game at 1080p with high/ultra settings,and I really want to play some games like God of War/Days Gone/Dying Light 2/RDR 2 and games that have similar graphical demands , and I have a 650 W PSU so no problems regarding that ,I was looking into nvidia gpus and it really does seem they are more expensive than their amd counterparts , and the thing is my budget is low anyways ,

I'm from romania and I have 650 RON which is 140~ dollars , I was looking into buying an rx 6600 and I would like to know if that really is a good gpu for its price , I need to get some more money before buying it since it costs 1035 RON(220~ dollars) , I would like to know if it really is a good budget gpu and if not , some good alternatives in that price range.Also I have an I3 6098P and I will upgrade after that , knowing that I wil probably need a new motherboard too

FamilyFriendly101

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
Hey!

Please list your entire build thoroughly, interested in the specific models for your PSU and motherboard.

Also, how old is your rig?
Im not sure how to see the PSU , but its about 2 years old idk more than that , and the motherboard is MS 7996 also known as H110M PRO-D

I can't give you a suggestion until I know what PSU you have. You can find the sticker on the side of your power supply and it should look like this:

2020-01-19-image-3.jpg

Either post a picture or post the model number here.

FamilyFriendly101

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
it does not
I can't give you a suggestion until I know what PSU you have. You can find the sticker on the side of your power supply and it should look like this:

2020-01-19-image-3.jpg

Either post a picture or post the model number here.
that info panel is not visible unless I unscrew it from the pc , I found some photos of the box instead
370086295_279672271717961_6231459748898008541_n.jpg
370122462_648032300849549_4054231168736870106_n.jpg

That's enough information.
Njoy makes essentially junk power supplies. Fake 80+ ratings(not to mention they're advertising as meeting the certification only on 230V), they probably use a really old crappy platform and rebrand it as a new PSU.

I can't find anything on its internals, so you know it's junkiddy junk junk.

I'd just get rid of that crappy thing you have there and buy a new reliable PSU if you want to upgrade your GPU. I know you are on a tight budget, but safety comes first. You really don't want that to wipe your entire computer.

I can give you some suggestions on some solid budget models, but I need to know the stores from where are you buying.

FamilyFriendly101

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
That's enough information.
Njoy makes essentially junk power supplies. Fake 80+ ratings(not to mention they're advertising as meeting the certification only on 230V), they probably use a really old crappy platform and rebrand it as a new PSU.

I can't find anything on its internals, so you know it's junkiddy junk junk.

I'd just get rid of that crappy thing you have there and buy a new reliable PSU if you want to upgrade your GPU. I know you are on a tight budget, but safety comes first. You really don't want that to wipe your entire computer.

I can give you some suggestions on some solid budget models, but I need to know the stores from where are you buying.
sure I'd love some recomandations , thing is I am shopping from romanian retailers such as pcgarage/altex/emag

Reactions: ChumP
Really hard to find great models at decent prices. Prices are really high for PSUs there.

I hope you're able to buy from these websites:

Seasonic Core GC-650
https://www.evomag.ro/componente-pc...ic-g12-gc-650-650w-gold-80-negru-3819254.html

Superflower Leadex III Gold - a much better unit, but a 550W one(still plenty of power for your build) and is a bit overpiced in my opinion:
https://www.evomag.ro/componente-pc...-80-plus-gold-full-modulara-550w-3785078.html

The one I'd actually buy is this Cooler Master MWE 650 V2 Gold. More expensive, but better than the Seasonic unit + it's modular:
https://www.tonerpartner.ro/cooler-...c&utm_source=price-ro&utm_content=price-promo

FYI that build won't draw much even with a rx 6600 (I'd be amazed if it even draws close to 300W), but a 650W solid unit will reassure you that even with future platform upgrade, a new PSU won't be needed(especially if you keep a midrange GPU).

As for the RX 6600, it should perform much better than your 960, but you'll be heavily bottlenecked by that i3-6098p. After the GPU upgrade, for another big boost in performance, changing the whole platform (CPU, MOBO, RAM) will be necessary.

Last edited:

FamilyFriendly101

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
Really hard to find great models at decent prices. Prices are really high for PSUs there.

I hope you're able to buy from these websites:

Seasonic Core GC-650
https://www.evomag.ro/componente-pc...ic-g12-gc-650-650w-gold-80-negru-3819254.html

Superflower Leadex III Gold - a much better unit, but a 550W one(still plenty of power for your build) and is a bit overpiced in my opinion:
https://www.evomag.ro/componente-pc...-80-plus-gold-full-modulara-550w-3785078.html

The one I'd actually buy is this Cooler Master MWE 650 V2 Gold. More expensive, but better than the Seasonic unit + it's modular:
https://www.tonerpartner.ro/cooler-...c&utm_source=price-ro&utm_content=price-promo

FYI that build won't draw much even with a rx 6600 (I'd be amazed if it even draws close to 300W), but a 650W solid unit will reassure you that even with future platform upgrade, a new PSU won't be needed(especially if you keep a midrange GPU).

As for the RX 6600, it should perform much better than your 960, but you'll be heavily bottlenecked by that i3-6098p. After the GPU upgrade, for another big boost in performance, changing the whole platform (CPU, MOBO, RAM) will be necessary.
aight , valuable information , thanks for the time invested