Question GPU won't output to display and there's no HDD activity light (Code 43) ?

Paradoxx54

Honorable
Nov 30, 2015
Similar issue to this post except my computer doesn't boot at all when the HDMI/DP is plugged into the GPU and there is no drive activity light: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/rtx-3080-suprim-error-code-43.3713409/#post-22385655

Hey everyone, wanted to get some opinions, or maybe someone has experienced this before and could give me some insight. I got a Zotac 3070 Ti Trinity OC about 2 months ago now and it has been working great up until yesterday. I came back to my PC after running some errands to find the monitor was not showing anything after waking my computer up from sleep. The PC was working fine when I left it. I turned off the PC and turned it back on and noticed that the drive activity light was not flashing. This was especially bizarre since I have an M.2 drive.

After poking around for a bit I plugged my HDMI cable into my motherboard and booted off integrated graphics and it booted into windows fine. I went into device manager and noticed a few devices were having driver troubles: The SM Bus Controller, PCI Device, and the RTX 3070 Ti. I was able to fix the first 2 with driver updates but I still had a "Code 43" error on the 3070 Ti display adapter. Furthermore, I would sometimes be able to get the Code 43 error to go away by disabling and enabling the driver I cleared all my display drivers multiple times and reinstalled the graphics card. I was able to get it working again temporarily twice by re-installing the card but it would eventually revert back to what it was doing at first, no display, no drive light, and only works on integrated graphics.

In summary, I tried:

• Using a displayport cable
  • Reinstalling all my drivers using DDU
  • Reinstalling NVIDIA drivers
  • Reinstalling my M.2 drive
  • Reinstalling my GPU
Is this a bad card or could there be something wrong with my motherboard? It's a very similar issue to the aforementioned post but the fact my drive activity light won't turn on makes me think something could be going wrong with the motherboard. Unfortunately, I don't have another card readily accessible to confirm my suspicion yet. Any advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Specs:

CPU: i7-8700k
Motherboard: Asus B360-i ROG STRIX Gaming
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master ML240r liquid cooler
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Trinity OC
PSU: EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold

PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jZPX9N

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build? What does GPU-Z show you in terms of memory for the GPU? Do you also see purple dots/lines/artifacting when you boot to the OS GUI? BIOS version for your motherboard? OS version(not edition)if you're on Windows 10?

If the memory shows 0MB, have purple pixels on the display that apparently vanish when you drag a bordered window across the screen and end up with a Error 43 for the GPU, then you need to RMA the card.

Since it works sometimes, it looks like either a weird GPU problem, or your motherboard PCie slot is not working correctly. Alternatively it could be bad PSU but the fact that you managed to run it twice makes that much less probable. Unfortunately without spare GPU you will have to guess.

Paradoxx54

Honorable
Nov 30, 2015
How old is the PSU in your build? What does GPU-Z show you in terms of memory for the GPU? Do you also see purple dots/lines/artifacting when you boot to the OS GUI? BIOS version for your motherboard? OS version(not edition)if you're on Windows 10?

If the memory shows 0MB, have purple pixels on the display that apparently vanish when you drag a bordered window across the screen and end up with a Error 43 for the GPU, then you need to RMA the card.

The PSU is only about 2-3 years old. I booted up GPU-Z while I was on integrated graphics and when I selected the 3070 Ti it said I have 0 MB of memory. I'm not getting any purple pixels but one of the times I got it working again I started to play a game to see if it would induce another crash and it did. The screen started flickering with white and black lines eventually with the screen shutting off.

I'm on Windows 10.

Paradoxx54

Honorable
Nov 30, 2015
Since it works sometimes, it looks like either a weird GPU problem, or your motherboard PCie slot is not working correctly. Alternatively it could be bad PSU but the fact that you managed to run it twice makes that much less probable. Unfortunately without spare GPU you will have to guess.
Trying to borrow a friend's GPU to see if it still has issues and will update this thread