Question Grainy/jagged image on new Lenovo L24i-30 monitor ?

Jun 15, 2023
Hello!

I have used a Lenovo Q24i-10 monitor for several years and I am very happy with it. I decided to upgrade my desktop setup by adding another monitor, and found a good deal for a Lenovo L24i-30. Since both displays are the exact same size, resolution and use the same screen technology I assumed that the two monitors would match really well. Unfortunately, after installing my new L24i-30 display, everything looks really sharp/jagged compared to the Q24i-10. The edges of all textures and letters are simply too sharp, where I can clearly see the pixels "staircasing". On the Q24 the edges are a bit blurred, which makes the viewing experience more pleasent. I have tried everything and I can not solve the problem to make the L24 look equally smooth as the Q24. I am running Windows 10. What I have tried so far:
  • Changing the HDMI cable and trying DVI-HDMI instead
  • Updating to the latest drivers
  • Enabling and reconfigurating Cleartype (note that my problem does not only concern text, but all textures)
  • Trying to reconfigure all of the available setting using the buttons on the monitor.
Nothing seems to work, and this is unfortunately making me consider returning the display. It is extremely frustrating since I know that the resolution is good enough (I have never had any problems with by Q24 full HD display), and that the problem should thus be solvable. I thought about changing the "sharpness" setting, which I have on my TV for example, but this settings does not appear to exist on my Lenovo monitors. Any ideas of what I could do?

Have you tried setting the new display as primary? This kind of thing can happend when the monitor has an unusual subpixel structure. For text you could try different cleartype settings to see if any work better with that monitor:

Jun 15, 2023
Have you tried setting the new display as primary? This kind of thing can happend when the monitor has an unusual subpixel structure. For text you could try different cleartype settings to see if any work better with that monitor:

You mean simply changing the primary display in Windows could actually affect image quality?
Concerning Cleartype, my problem affects everything on the screen, not only text. I have tried reconfiguring ClearType many times but it does not help.

It can, although usually when I've seen it happen there was a difference in resolution or frequency. You could also check if there's any difference in color space / depth between the monitors as below (varies by video card manufacturer)

ctwX5wQ.png

If none of that helps, maybe try connecting a notebook to that monitor to see if it happens using a different source. If so, it might be the case that the panel itself is arranged in a way that is unpleasant to you, these things don't always feel the same for everybody.

D

Deleted member 14196

Check the mode the monitor is in using the monitors controls

Jun 15, 2023
Thanks for all the tips, but unfortunately I have tried them all and nothing has worked. I will be returning the monitor instead. A bit frustrating since this new monitor appeared exactly identical to my old one in the specs, so I am not really sure what to look out for when buying a new monitor to avoid this problem in the future. Possibility to adjust sharpness in the settings maybe?

Jul 10, 2023
It can, although usually when I've seen it happen there was a difference in resolution or frequency. You could also check if there's any difference in color space / depth between the monitors as below (varies by video card manufacturer)