Question Graphics card causing boot failure ?

Kandashi

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
Hi all,

Ive had a few recent issues with my PC which are now mostly fixed. Only outstanding issues is my PC will not boot at all when my GTX 1080 is installed. Motherboard MSI Z390-A Pro displays VGA issue LED as static white. Any ideas if the GPU is fixable (or ways of testing if its fixable) or is it compleatly dead?

Many thanks
Kandashi

What are the specs of the PC?
Which CPU do you have?
Do you have integrated graphics in your CPU? Are you able to boot with it?
Which port are you using on your card and monitor?
Have you tried booting from the second PCIe slot?
Have you tried the card in another machine?

Kandashi

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
What are the specs of the PC?
Which CPU do you have?
Do you have integrated graphics in your CPU? Are you able to boot with it?
Which port are you using on your card and monitor?
Have you tried booting from the second PCIe slot?
Have you tried the card in another machine?

CPU is a Intel CORE I5-9600K 3.7
Integrated graphics work perfectly fine and can boot correct
The first PCIe slot on the Motherboard, only one that fits the 1080 given the size of the case
Cannot fit GPU into second slot
Put into a second PC causes the same issues as the first.

Put into a second PC causes the same issues as the first.
Well, then its a problem with the card apparently, assuming that everything else in both PC is working fine and you have cross checked with a different cable as well. Point being, if you are trying the same cable with the same card in both PC, then either could be the issue.
Considering the above, your options are limited here. If the card is broke, you can contact the manufacturer and talk to them whether anything can be done about it. Ideally, in this situation, they will ask you to send the card to run diagnostics and determine the issue. If its a minor issue which is fixable, they might fix it or RMA it if its under warranty. Do not keep high hopes though. Also, remember you will be paying for everything if the warranty is over, even if the card is not fixable. Also, remember this is a very time consuming process, which can lead upto months at times.