Question Graphics Card Causing BSOD.. Need Advice

Jan 14, 2022
Hello,

I have been having some problems since around August of 2021 concerning regular BSODs. Initially, I wasn't having BSOD's but rather error messages that would display at random intervals. The error message in question was nearly always something along the lines of "DXGI ERROR DEVICE REMOVED". However, this stopped happening after I reinstalled windows. After reinstalling windows on my computer, it started bringing up BSOD's rather than the "DXGI ERROR DEVICE REMOVED " messages.
Of all the BSODs I've had the most noteworthy ones are: "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA", "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" AND "DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACKBUFFER". Using WhoCrashed, it seems to think that the causes of the BSODs are
"ntoskrnl.exe", "ntkrnlmp.exe" and "hardware.sys" (also sometimes is said to be "nvlddmkm.sys" causing the issue). I've contacted multiple people who have all recommended me using the SFC /SCANNOW stuff and running the Windows Memory Diagnostics thing, and all have returned absolutely no problems except for corrupted files with SFC which always get repaired, yet the issue persists. I've come to the conclusion that the problems are being caused by the GPU due to the initial DXGI errors I was getting beforehand. The GPU is a RTX 2070 Super MSI Ventus and I've never done any crazy things to it like overclocking and what not.

NOTE: I don't get any BSODs when playing intensive games like Witcher 3, COD Cold War & Vanguard etc. It usually happens when it's idling, browsing Chrome or I'm playing FiveM

If anyone has any advice or any pointers as to what they think could be causing it, please do tell me because I'm at a loss. I have ordered a new GPU (KFA2 RTX 3070 Ti) in hopes of fixing this issue but even still I would still really appreciate opinions on what else could be causing it. Any help is much appreciated. (y)

tecmo34

Administrator
What are your full system specs; Make and Model of the other components (CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU etc)?

Have you tried going into Nvidia Control panel and changing the power setting to performance over normal? I've seen Nvidia cards have issues with voltage on low usage apps and causing system crashes. The downside is your card will always run a full speed, so temps will run a little hotter since the clock speeds won't go down when in idle usage.

Jan 14, 2022
What are your full system specs; Make and Model of the other components (CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU etc)?

Have you tried going into Nvidia Control panel and changing the power setting to performance over normal? I've seen Nvidia cards have issues with voltage on low usage apps and causing system crashes. The downside is your card will always run a full speed, so temps will run a little hotter since the clock speeds won't go down when in idle usage.

Hi,
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 w/ no overclock
Mobo - MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 4x8GB 3600MHz
PSU - Corsair RM650 80+ Gold

The System itself is just over a year old at this point. I will try what you just recommended above and see if that makes any difference.
EDIT: The card runs at around 84c when under heavy load even in a cold room, so having it run hot all the time isn't a bad thing for me tbf, saves on the heating :p
EDIT NO.2 BECAUSE IM STUPID: When you talk about setting it to change power setting to performance, you are referring to the setting in "Global Settings">"Power Management Mode"?

tecmo34

Administrator
EDIT NO.2 BECAUSE IM STUPID: When you talk about setting it to change power setting to performance, you are referring to the setting in "Global Settings">"Power Management Mode"?
Correct.

kb2441.jpg