[SOLVED] Graphics card/PCIe slot problem

LarryAtona56

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017
Hello, I don't want to make this post/thread longer than it needs to but, basically I'm just upgrading from a GTX 1060 to a GTX 1070 ASUS STRIX, both the power supply and mother board (MSI B250M MORTAR) are compatible, I just needed to uninstall the drivers of the older gpu and let Ge Force do the rest, that's what I did, but when I removed the old gpu (1060) from my mother board, I broke off the little pci express slot clip lock, but I think it just popped off since it doesn't show any signs of tear, but anyways, I didn't pay too much attention to that, I just installed the new gpu (1070) into the board, connected everything and hoped for a boot, then the whole computer (mother board and gpu) started turning on and off continuously.

So I turned it off and proceeded to do it again, but it just did the same thing, turned off and on again, so I decided to try it with my old gpu (1060) and It started doing the same thing, so I don't know if I messed up the drivers after putting the new gpu into the motherboard or something like that, but the moment the pci lock popped off it started doing that. Would that be a reason for the malfunctioning/troubleshooting? If not what else could it be?

I would really appreciate any insight or information you might have about this problem, I need to fix this asap since I'm currently working from home and my computer is my main work tool

Solution
My thought is that there are other problems with the build.

You need to download the motherboard's User manual and double check everything.

FYI:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B250M-MORTAR#down-manual

[Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Likewise, obtain the applicable User Guides/Manuals and Installation instructions for all installed components.

Again verify that all are correctly installed and configured.

Be sure to read all notes, fine print, warnings, etc..

The documents will probably provide a link to the manufacturer's website with respect to updates. Be sure to check those websites as well.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you able to take any photographs? If so, do so and post here accordingly via imgur (www.imgur.com).

= = = =

Without the lock the GPU may not be tight enough to maintain full connectivity/power.

And when the clip lock broke there may have been other damage as well. Nearby components, traces, teeth.

Inspect carefully with a bright flashlight and magnifying glass.

If supported, try booting your system with iGPU (remove the GPU).

Determine if the system turns fully on and stays on.

LarryAtona56

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you able to take any photographs? If so, do so and post here accordingly via imgur (www.imgur.com).

= = = =

Without the lock the GPU may not be tight enough to maintain full connectivity/power.

And when the clip lock broke there may have been other damage as well. Nearby components, traces, teeth.

Inspect carefully with a bright flashlight and magnifying glass.

If supported, try booting your system with iGPU (remove the GPU).

Determine if the system turns fully on and stays on.
So I managed to turn it on, It seems one of the ram sticks popped off from one side, and wasn't letting the motherboard operate properly, but now it will turn on completely, but it will no boot up anything in the screen at all, also the debug lights from my Mobo are lighting up, CPU and RAM debug lights are turning on and off, what could this mean?

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that there are other problems with the build.

You need to download the motherboard's User manual and double check everything.

FYI:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B250M-MORTAR#down-manual

[Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Likewise, obtain the applicable User Guides/Manuals and Installation instructions for all installed components.

Again verify that all are correctly installed and configured.

Be sure to read all notes, fine print, warnings, etc..

The documents will probably provide a link to the manufacturer's website with respect to updates. Be sure to check those websites as well.

Solution