[SOLVED] Graphics Card stops working on new PC

SimpleSkry

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
Hey everyone, i recently decided to build a 2nd PC, and assembled it myself (first time building a PC btw). I planned on buying an RTX 3070, but since i couldnt find it at a reasonable price i decided to use my old graphics card for the moment, the ASUS GTX 970 strix. It all went fine, PC booted up, i installed windows 10, did some temperature tests, GPU was at around 40-45 degrees idle, cpu at around 25. I also updated the gpu and motherboard drivers.
Problem started a few hours later, when i tried opening and changing settings in a game, my screen suddenly got black, so i rebooted the pc and tried opening a game again. It worked for about 3 hours, then when i closed the game, the monitor went black again. So i checked windows event viewer to see if there were any errors related to the GPU, and i found this :"display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" exactly at the time when my screen went black. So i assumed it was a driver related problem, and used DDU to uninstall the ones from the GPU. But it didnt solve the problem.
I thought i accidentally damaged the GPU while moving it, so i placed it back in the old pc to see if it gave the same problem, and it didnt. the gpu worked fine even after hours of intense use.

My new pc specs are:
power supply Corsair RM750
SSD Sabrent M.2 1TB
CPU INTEL i7 10700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-A Gaming
16 GB DDR4 3600mhz RAM
Radiator Noctua NH-D15
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2

I dont think the problem is related to any of the new components, since they're pretty solid and they're all working fine. I also tried using the GPU on the 2nd PCIe slot on the motherboard, but it didnt solve anything.

I am out of ideas as to what might cause the issue, so any advice is appreciated.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS