Question Graphics card suddenly having issues but it works on another PC ?

Jun 4, 2022
Here are my specs:

EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC
Ryzen 5 3600
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX (used to be SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W 80 Plus Gold)

For the past month, I have been having issues with my computer having display issues like this. In addition, my display would randomly disconnect (screen would black out for about a second and come back on). Recently, I have been experiencing a lot of crashing in video games (especially Skyrim). I reinstalled the graphics card drivers at least 5 times (first a basic reinstall in NVIDIA GeForce experience, then manually uninstalling drivers and redownloading, then using DDU) but to no avail. I constantly monitored temps and GPU power draw but saw nothing out of the ordinary. I also ran a memtest to check my RAM but I got no errors.

About 2 weeks into the issues, I decided to switch out my power supply with another one I had. It did not fix anything but the crashing died down a bit. More recently, for the past week, most of the games that I play will crash randomly although not too often.

I also noticed that I was not having these similar issues in Ubuntu 18 (which I am dual booting alongside Windows 10 on the same M.2 SSD drive), however, I feel like I did not use Ubuntu too much (about 6 hours in total the past month) to even allow the issues to appear. Still, I decided to reinstall Windows by completely deleting it from my windows partition and installing it again via a bootable USB drive. However, the issues were still present though they occurred a little less often.

So finally, my plan was to switch out my graphics card with my friend's and test things out. A couple of hours in, I have not experienced a single issue with this graphics card (MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB). Games run fine, display has not disconnected, have not had any games crash so far after about 6 hours. With my graphics card (RTX 2070 S) I would have already noticed many glitches by now. The thing that messes with my head is that my friend's computer also has not experienced any issues at all either. If the GPU was faulty, wouldn't they experience the same frequent crashing and display glitches? Well, since the GPU is working fine, doesn't that mean that I would still experience issues since it now seems that something else is the culprit?

As of now, I am completely exhausted of ideas, so now I ask anyone if there is anything you all think I should try. For now, I am still testing my PC with my friend's GPU, and my friend is doing the same with my GPU for a couple of days since these issues are not immediately apparent. Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The power draw for the GTX1060 and the RTX2070S respectively are not the same, you might want to get a 650W reliably built unit as a donor to test your system again with the RTX2070 in there. As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you currently on?

Reactions: alan585
Jun 4, 2022
Thank you!

I suspected the same when I swapped out the power supply with a higher wattage (although lower rating) but the issues persisted. I forgot to add that I was having no issues with the RTX 2070 and my old PSU (which is around 4 years old) for over a year. The new PSU is only 6 months old that my other friend (not the one aforementioned) used with his RTX 3060 and he had no issues with it. He got an RTX 3090 two weeks ago so he let me have his old PSU.

I don't know if what I mentioned changes anything but I could still probably bug him to lend me his PSU for a few hours to test it haha.

As for the BIOS version, I am not home atm but I will check as soon as I get home. Although, the last time that I updated it was around a year ago, though it could still be an issue now that I think of it.

Jun 4, 2022
I guess it wouldn't hurt to also try it with my friend's (who we'll call G for ease, the one that I swapped graphics cards with) power supply which is a Corsair TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold. If I get no luck, I'll bug my other friend (who we'll call B, who gave me his PSU and recently got an RTX 3090).

Jun 4, 2022
Okay, BIOS version is 2006 x64 build date 3/19/2021. Should I update it? Actually, I will probably be updating it anyway along with trying other fixes one by one such as changing PSU, changing power plugs, power surges, etc. Let me know if this is a good idea or if it will be a waste of time. I will try these either tomorrow or the day after whenever I have the time. Thank you!