[SOLVED] Graphics Card Suddenly Lagging Intermittently

Feb 14, 2022
My computer has been running fine since I built it in 2019 up until yesterday. Out of nowhere, video games that used to run very smoothly were now lagging intermittently. In addition to that I've had a lot of graphical issues piled on in one day. To make things easier these are the states of my computer:

State A: Computer is running normally
State B: Computer runs okay, video games will lag intermittently
State C: Monitor issues, major graphical issues.

My computer runs normally in State A. State B occurred yesterday upon startup where video games would run fine for a few seconds and then lag for a few more seconds (Video 1). Lag would continue into menus with the stuttering. I downloaded the latest drivers for my GPU and did a reset. I run a two-monitor setup, and my secondary monitor refused to be recognized as connected. State C occurred after I did another reset and my main monitor was blank and my secondary monitor had a weird graphical glitch (Video 2). I did another reset with my main monitor working and my second monitor not being recognized. I downloaded the latest drivers again just to be sure and it fixed most issues and I am back to State B where video games still lag intermittently every few seconds.

I have been trying to figure out why this is happening. Is it my GPU dying, is there an error being written to VRAM, or is it another unrelated issue? I am sorry if I am sparse on details, I do not have the best technical prowess but I will do my best to give more information if requested or to answer questions if possible to help me get down to the issue. Thank you for your time.

GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT NITRO+
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

Video 1:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldYPB6QLkwQ

Video 2:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXUk5OBNgP4

Solution
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use both tools but only one at a time.

Start observing immediately after boot up while the system idles and stabilizes. Size the window and/or move as necessary (2nd monitor) so you can continue watching while doing light work and browsing as normal. Then play a game, again as normal, and continue to watch. Remember the purpose is observe performance and not "win" per se.

Watch what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Overall, with a heavily used, 2.3 year old PSU my thought is that the PSU is beginning to falter and fail. It is becoming unable to keep up with peak demands from CPU, GPU, drives, etc..

The key...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age (2+ years perhaps) , condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Heavy gaming use - correct?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Feb 14, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age (2+ years perhaps) , condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Heavy gaming use - correct?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Thanks for the needed information, I wasn't sure what would be appropriate to include but this is very concise.

I would say heavy gaming use is the most appropriate term to use, yes. I built this PC for gaming, but I switch on/off between gaming heavily with intense programs and just browsing the internet all day, but just assume heavy gaming use.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700x (2.3 years old, new)

CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 (6 months old, new)

Motherboard:
MSI X470 GAMING PLUS (2.3 years old, new)

Memory:
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 (1 year old, new)

GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon NITRO+ RX 5700 XT 8GB (2.3 years old, new)

PSU: Corsair RM750x (2.3 years old, new)

Monitors:
  • First Monitor: LG 32GK650F (4 months old, new)
  • Second Monitor: ASUS VN289 (At most 8 years old, bought new but second-hand from previous PC)

Storage:
  • Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe (79.1GB free) (2.3 years old, new)
  • TOSHIBA Toshiba X300 5TB HDD HDWE150 (814 GB free) (5-7ish years old, bought new but second-hand from previous PC)
  • Seagate 4TB IronWolf NAS SATA HDD ST4000VN008 (1.94 TB free) (2-4 years old, new)
  • Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA HDD ST2000DL003 (80.1 GB free) (At least 10 years old, bought new but second-hand from previous PC)

If any further information is required I'd be happy to provide to the best of my abilities.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use both tools but only one at a time.

Start observing immediately after boot up while the system idles and stabilizes. Size the window and/or move as necessary (2nd monitor) so you can continue watching while doing light work and browsing as normal. Then play a game, again as normal, and continue to watch. Remember the purpose is observe performance and not "win" per se.

Watch what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Overall, with a heavily used, 2.3 year old PSU my thought is that the PSU is beginning to falter and fail. It is becoming unable to keep up with peak demands from CPU, GPU, drives, etc..

The key is to work out and otherwise quantify the wattage demands being placed on the PSU.

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Not with the immediate intent to go buy a new PSU. Just use 2 or 3 of the calculators to determine how much of a load ( at peak heavy gaming power demands) has been placed on the PSU. Personally I used the GPU manufacturer's recommended PSU wattage as the starting point. And, for other components if there is a wattage range then I use the high end value. Once the wattages are all added up I add 20% more. Tends to run high but I believe that having more wattage is overall more beneficial in longer term. Then purchase a well known, well rated PSU - no always easy due to availability and limited budgets for many.

So, that said, you may be able to get by with a 750 watt PSU - just keep in mind that that PSU may or may not last as long.

Solution