Question Graphics card with three DVI outputs

copwriter2

Commendable
Jun 7, 2020
I have a custom built computer that has been in service since 2015. Specs are as follows:
  • MSI Z170A Gaming M3 motherboard
  • Intel i7-6700K 4GHz 8 MB cache, LGA 1151 processor
  • 16 GB (2 x 8GB) Gskill Ripjaws DDR4 RAM
  • MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming graphics card, 8GB
  • Samsung Syncmaster 930b monitors (three)

I run a Windows 10 OS, mainly for office applications with occasional photo/video editing. Two of the monitors are driven by separate DVI ports on the graphics card, with the third driven off the DisplayPort, using a DisplayPort to DVI adapter. The system generally runs fine, but lately I have had one monitor (the one driven off the DisplayPort) going dark on me. When I power up the system, the monitor is dark. It usually comes on eventually and seemingly spontaneously, but I haven't been able to determine what event or chain of events causes this. Once activated, the monitor will stay on until the OS turns off the monitors after an hour of no activity. When I come back and "wake" the computer, Monitor 3 is dark again.

I've been putting up with this for weeks, and today started looking for a comparable graphics card that had three DVI outputs. I've found only one (a VisionTek product), but it seems underpowered compared to what I have, and doesn't have great reviews.

If need be, I'd even buy new displays with DisplayPort inputs, but I can't find any comparable graphics card with three DisplayPort outputs, and the monitors I've found with DisplayPort inputs seem expensive (keep in mind I would need three of them). I know you can daisychain DisplayPorts, but that strikes me as trading one kludge for another. I'd like to get this done by swapping out as little hardware as possible.

Can anyone suggest a solution that doesn't require buying a whole new computer, or close to it?

DP->DVI adapter most likely has gone bad.

Use HDMI->DVI adapter instead. That is much simpler passive adapter. There's no room for it to go bad.

Adapter-HDMI-DVI.jpg

copwriter2

Commendable
Jun 7, 2020
Here is the latest chapter in the saga.

I bought a HDMI-to-DVI cable and used it in place of the DisplayPort-to-DVI cable and jack. That brought Monitor #3 online, but Monitor #2 (DVI to DVI) went out. The whole apparatus is on a big wheeled desk. When I moved the desk, I thought I might have rolled over the Monitor #2 cable and damaged it. I acquire another DVI to DVI cable and install it.

Monitor #2 still does not come up. I play around with the Windows 10 display settings. Monitors #1 and #3 appear as expected in the settings window, but Monitor #2 shows to be of reduced size, and Windows can't retrieve the specifications. I update the drivers from Radeon and try to use their software to bring Monitor #2 back. Then, while I am just staring at the displays, wondering what to do next, Monitor #2 lights up and is doing what I expect it to do.

I reset the "Sleep" settings for turning off the monitors to 'Never," as I have no idea how to get Monitor #2 back if it goes down again.

I've had this system running for over five years, and never had a problem like this. Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing the display problem permanently?

TRENDING THREADS