siltec

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I do not understand of why graphic card manufacturers have in the last 2 years stopped supporting win2k users by not providing drivers !!

ATI cards produced after the X850 are only available with drivers for users of XP and ... Vista !! in another word its mainly for XP, which in my view is not a great idea for the sales wizz kids who are paid to increase market sales.

I am not sure if this is a policy or a tech matter !! and its even more
confusing when they continue to produce AGP cards !! for a by gone systems.

I have been using win2k since 2001, it worked every day without any
problems, and in 2008 its still working on an intel bad axe 2 mobo with
duo core E8600 using a fast raptor WD HDD and ... an old HIS X800 GTO !

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
It's old. Period. One thing you might try if you need a driver for a specific card is to see if the OS will accept a Windows XP driver. I know that XP was supposed to have been based on Windows 2000, and some Windows 2000 drivers actually worked on hardware under windows xp. Not sure if the reverse is true or not...

Orion1024

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I went through the same thing a couple years back...the video drivers worked under Win2k, but antialiasing couldn't be enabled. So, I was forced to upgrade that machine to XP...even though 2000 worked perfectly otherwise (and was faster than XP in games by about 10%). It's planned obsolescence. Even though a product might be old, if it works well and continues to serve your needs, that's all that matters. All it takes is one critical piece of functionality to go unsupported and then that product is potentially useless to you...but that's how the biz works.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
i can't think of a single reason why anyone should still be running windows 2000. it's 8 years old already, and has no benefits over xp. and really, by now people should be running vista. the tech industry progresses way too fast to still be using the same OS you were using in 2000.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

People used to say XP is bloated and useless compared to 2000 much the same way they compare XP to Vista now. Some people stay true to what they say. :p

As for driver for 2000, you didn't look hard enough.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Radeon-Omega-Drivers-4.8.442-download-1817.html

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007

that is true, but personally i don't even find vista all that bloated. things like UAC are a bit poorly implemented, but it's not nearly as slow as the media is making it sound. but really, people still using win2k are (at least imo) just afraid of change.

siltec

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008

I agree, but I am not sure of how many users are in the 0.1% !,
I would guess it would be in the millions world wide.

siltec

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008

The single reason of why I am still running win 2000 instead of moving to Vista is ...
because I would not be able to use my Graphic, DTP, Accounts software(s) among many other
programmes which are incompatible and there are no patches available. They cost thousands to replace !!

Thanks dagger will have a look at the drivers link.