TheGamblerUK

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I just brought the game today, installed it and was VERY VERY dissapointed.

Im rinning a Sapphire 7950 Vapor-x BTW.

I right away stuck it on MAX settings and i hit 20FPS.

So i stuck it on Lowest of low settings and hit 45 FPS.

What could be causing this ?

bluethulhu

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
It's not you. I have a video editing/extreme gaming setup (i7-3930k OC, GTX 690) and the game maxes out at about 55FPS. Even drops below 20 sometimes when there is a lot being rendered (raining, in water, etc.) GTA4 Is just a console port, so it isn’t even optimized to run on good pc hardware. My friend has a machine with a i7-3610QM + GTX 630, and gets about 35-40FPS. Really wish Rockstar would show some love for us PC gamers :(

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
you should be getting way more than 20 fps though, I have a Phenom 2 @ 3.8 ghz and 2 560ti's in sli (I think it doesn't even support sli though) and get 50-60 fps maxed out

kjoz

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
damn.. this thread is making me nervous for GTA 5.. Their probably just going to do another crappy port for the PC... its a shame that GTA used to kick ass on the PC back in the day then slowly transitioned their focus on consoles....

Bastards

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
GTA4 is the prime example of why Rockstar games should stick to making console games and not bring the Red Dead series over to PC. ^To Kjoz; GTA5 hasn't been announced for PC as of yet. All GTA4 was, Was an extremely poorly optimized game. These guys should learn from capcom. DMC4 has to be the best optimized game ever to be released in my opinion. It had better graphics than GTA4 and could STILL run on an old pentium 4 with settings on high

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Answering OP's question; Dude.. totally not your fault. You could have an i7 3770k and still lag on that game.. Its a bit too CPU dependant. Although people with an Athlon X3 have been noted to run it better than everyone else.. I think its because its a unchanged console port and from what i know the XBOX utilizes 3 cores so that might be the reason why

kjoz

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

damn really? No announcement for the PC yet... what a bummer...

kjoz

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Wonder why they have no love for the PC anymore...? Guessing smaller market then the console market?

JJ1217

Honorable
Install Icenhancer 2.1 and the Ultimate Texture for GTA IV. I got quite a bit of a frame rate improvement, and also looks much better. Not sure if it'll help you though.

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

Hell no Ash have you seen the graphics on GTA4? They're not that good it all looks like a giant blurry crap to me.. They shouldn't be releasing GTA5 if its gonna be poorly optimized like GTA4 was. Also, heard the latest? Dead Space 3 is gonna be a straight console port too according to toms latest news.

kjoz

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

lol damn... Dead Space 3 also.. Was actually looking forward to that one also (Huge Dead Space fan)

dheeraj9933

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
this might be a bit uncalled for in your thread but i just had to say this......
well the "market" on pc's is a lot smaller than consoles.
by "market" is mean sales.
it's not like the pc gamers are a lot less compared to xbox or ps3,
crysis 2 was pirated 4.7 million times and witcher 2 was 4 million times!!
and these are just round figures and still inaccurate,
counting other means of piracy like pirated cd's or just pendrives shared between friends etc. the number will easily go to 5 million!!
plus count the people that have bought the game!!
so unless people have pirated the same game over and over again,
thegamers in PC Gaming are a nice big lot.
the ONLY problem is

"PIRACY"
can u imagine if the people who bought crysis 2 and the huge amount of people who pirated the game had actually bought the game!!
it would have been more than 5 million!!
considering crysis 2 only sold 3 million copies total it is a HUGE number!!
damn if pc gamers had bought this game crysis 3 might have been a pc exclusive!!!
and looked a lot better than it does now!
if all the pc gamers stop pirating games,
only then will this problem end.....
otherwise the future does not look bright to me

Mahisse

Distinguished

Well some people do buy the games if they like the it after they downloaded it. If demos were still being released as in old day I wouldn't imagine the numbers would be that high. Most of the times it comes down to people not wanting to pay for a game they supect to be crap and the only way to make sure you don't get ripped off is to download a game to try it out first. I wish demos would make a comeback. I hate buying a game not knowing if it runs well on the PC. (FYI I do buy my games)