Question GTX 1080 Artifacts in Call of Duty games only

Oct 8, 2022
Hello!

I'm having an issue where I get weird texture bugs, purple lightning and graphics glitching when playing Warzone. When I play CS:GO, Fortnite, Witcher or any other title, there are no artifacting. When I get artifacts, sometimes changing options like lowering my resolution scaling clears it away, but it makes the game look bad. If I change my graphics options during the game when it's running okay, it will usually lead to artifacting.

I did FurMark stress test and I had no issues running it for 30 minutes. GPU temps were around 76 tops. When I play Warzone, my GPU temps are around 68-70. I recently changed my motherboard to MSI Tomahawk X570 Max Wifi and got Ryzen 5600x. I also ran a memory test and no issues there either, but Warzone seems to eat quite a lot of RAM because it's around 80-90 % when I play it. I have Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 gb (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM.

I'm running MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 with default clocks. I have tried to DDU GPU drivers, reinstalling everything and I even rebuilt my computer, made sure all connectors are sitting tightly and cleaned my case. I also reinstalled Windows. It's been always the case with Call of Duty games for some reason, where the artifacts happen. It has happened in Black Ops 4, Vanguard and Modern Warfare. Same kind of artifacts always.

Should I try to replace my RAM or can it be the reason even if memory tests were okay? Any ideas what should I do? I don't want to buy a new GPU just to try if it fixes the issue. I don't have warranty left on my card.

Oct 8, 2022
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU, as well as it's age. BIOS version for your motherboard?

I also reinstalled Windows.
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Thank you!

My PSU is Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold and it's 5 years old. BIOS version is 7C84v1B which is the newest.

I made Windows 10 img and installed it from USB. My SSD is Samsung EVO 850 where my OS is installed. The problem has been existing for few years now with artifacts in this game.

Oct 8, 2022
I made Windows 10 img and installed it from USB.
That's what I was asking, how did you fabricate the installer, where did you get the img?
I used Microsoft's media creation tool for the img, changed boot order from BIOS and installed it without any problems.

Here's a picture of few artifacts. Sometimes I get pink/purple strange lightning and textures streching to sky etc.

n8QsiXo.png

Oct 8, 2022
I was adjusting settings in MSI Afterburner and after I set power limit to 65-75 percentage, the artifacts are gone. After I put it back to 100%, artifacts are back. Any reason why it's doing this? Is this a sign of a dying GPU? I just tested my GPU in different games and I have no issues running games with high/ultra settings. It's just different Call of Duty games like Modern Warfare, Warzone, Vanguard.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I would definitely try what sizzling suggested. Thermal compound and pads lose their effectiveness over time, and the GTX 1080 is an old card by now. I think if the VRAMs were completely gone, they would artifact across all power levels, not only at full power. You should replace both. While you're doing that, cleaning the fins on the cooler of any accumulated dust and debris, and adding a drop of oil to the fans never hurts.

Might want to boot up GPUz and see what the VRAM temps report; those tend to get heated the most and they might be getting a tad too warm. A short-term fix if you don't want to touch the HW would be to use something like MSI Afterburner to lower the power/temp limits on the card a bit; would hurt your max FPS a bit but would keep the card warmer.

One other thing to consider: If you haven't done so yet, take an air blower to the GPU fan. Quite possibly it's clogged with dust and not keeping the card cool efficiently.

Also, could just be Warzone being Warzone; I've literally had games where half the textures don't load in.

TRENDING THREADS