Question GTX 1080 not being fully utilised

meldj

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Hi All,

We've all seen these posts before, but I'm hoping I can provide enough detail to cut through some of the noise and see if we can get some definitive progress on this issue

Specs:
Gigabyte X470 Gaming 5 Motherboard with latest BIOS
Ryzen 2700x at base clock with latest chipset
Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080 at base clock with latest Nvidia drivers
16gb DDR4 2666 Mhz Ram running @ 3000Mhz via XMP setting in MOBO
Samsung Evo 850 with Windows 10 and Games
Samsung Evo 840 holding a few other games and files
Corsair CX850M PSU
Acer GN246HLB 144hz Monitor

Issue experienced:
When running games I struggle to reach an FPS that is reflective of my systems capabilities. I have found that I'm struggling to get above 70/80 FPS despite my CPU, GPU and RAM utilisation all being below 60% at all times. I've also checked individual core/thread loads and none have hit above 80%. Temperatures on GPU reach around 62 C, CPU around 58 C. Essentially, it doesn't matter what settings I apply in game, I get the same FPS from low to ultra. Stuttering can be an issue in some games as well, but may be due to low FPS / Sudden FPS drops on 144hz monitor?

What have I tried:
Fresh install of windows, completed all updates
fresh install of GPU drivers
Fresh install of AMD chip set
Fresh BIOS flash
Disabled HPET
Disabled / Enabled SMT and used Process Lasso to ensure games are running on 4 physical cores only.
Set Windows to High Performance Power Plan
Disabled windows update delivery optimization
Disabled hibernate
Checked Page file
Checked Ram is installed in A2/B2 slots
Various tweaks of settings in Nvidia control panel and in games

Any suggestions welcome!

When running games I struggle to reach an FPS that is reflective of my systems capabilities. I have found that I'm struggling to get above 70/80 FPS despite my CPU, GPU and RAM utilisation all being below 60% at all times. I've also checked individual core/thread loads and none have hit above 80%. Temperatures on GPU reach around 62 C, CPU around 58 C. Essentially, it doesn't matter what settings I apply in game, I get the same FPS from low to ultra. Stuttering can be an issue in some games as well, but may be due to low FPS / Sudden FPS drops on 144hz monitor?
What games are you playing and have you looked up typical fps for these games compared to your system or only the GPU?