Question GTX 1650 Super isn't budging to any sorts of overclock.

Chris David

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Title.

I got a Gigabyte NVIDIA 1650 Super 4GB Windforce OC as a temporary replacement for my 1060 6GB. I've been having problems OCing the card, I use Heaven Benchmark to OC it.

So the issue is, I use AORUS Engine (Gigabyte Software) to overclock my card.

The Base Card looks like this :

View: https://i.imgur.com/KQw2Wnq.png
- (NO OC, Just modified my target temp and kept the GPU Cooler at 100%)

So, I try and Overclock the card.

I set the GPU Boost to +150
I set the Memory Clock to +1000

Heaven doesn't seem to have any issues, it runs normally and ends on a good note, no artefacts or GPU turning on/off, no temp issues either.

Played some games like Destiny 2, doesn't seem to have any issues. However, when I play a game like AC Origins (the card gets fully maxed out at 99%), after a short while, the PC just shuts down and restarts, It's the card for sure as I've instantly disabled overclocking on the card and played for a solid hour to check if I have any PC Crashing or Artefact issues.

I thought the Memory Clock was too much, set it to a +500 with the GPU Boost still at +150, not much issue again with Heaven, runs without any issue, finishes up, no artefacts. Same result with AC Origins, after a while, no Artefacts or Stuttering, just shuts itself down after a while.

So, I decided to just try a retarded OC setup and see if it holds up, I went +100, +200, it's significantly lower than what I used to OC my 1060, but sure whatever. Try AC Origins again, get a crash after 30 minutes, at this point, I ditch the idea of Overclocking and just continue the game. But it keeps on puzzling me as to why I am unable to OC my card ? Heaven seems to have absolutely no issues running the benchmark on 1080p with everything at Ultra, no Artefacts, no Stutters, no Sudden Temperature Rises. But, games like Origins, which push the card to 100% (with my settings), seems to instantly set it off and do a complete crash and restart.

This is the short-list specifications of my rig.

Corsair CX650M
ASUS Prime Z370 Prime A-II
Intel 8700K at 4.7GHz
G.Skill 3600MHz CL16 2x8

I am puzzled at why this is happening, the 1060 I've had before this was a Gigabyte one as well and it overclocked nicely without any issues, but the 1650 Super just doesn't care what I feed it with and shuts itself down if I don't let it run it the way it wants. Is the AORUS Engine App ruining it for me ? if so, it wouldn't survive Heaven Benchmark, would it ? Should I just call off my adherence to only using software designed by the same manufacturer and move onto Afterburner like everyone else ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Chris David

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Basic binned chip, has no OC room. And you're really aggressive just trying to add 150 and 1000 randomly. Just use it as is.
Well is there a reason it doesn't crash on games that don't use 100% of the GPU ? is the load the issue here ? Even, then, I did eventually crack it way down to 100, 200, a card which is OC capable shouldn't suffer this much ?