[SOLVED] Gtx 1660 or 1060.... New or second hand?

May 3, 2020
Does anyone have a recommendation on these? Have a budge of around €250 for graphics card and both the 1660 and 1060 fall within that. While the 1660 out performs the 1060 ever so much, I feel it may be more than what I need.

Will be used for limited gaming and mostly for music, programming, etc. I have seen some really nice MSI 1060 6gb which I can get for under 200. They seem to have pretty decent reviews as well.

Also do you really save that much looking second? I'm considering in but so far the price differences I've seen are minimal compared to new.

Second hand is for people who don't value their money. Plenty of reasons for not doing this, not least of which is the lack of any warranty.

What are your other hardware specifications?

What kind of gaming do you do and at what resolution. You certainly don't need anything more than basic graphics for music or programming applications. Even integrated graphics, or something like a GT 1030 is more than enough for that. For gaming, it depends, on what "limited gaming" means and what resolution plus what kind of quality settings you expect.

May 3, 2020
My other hardware is an Asus z97-k and i7 4790k cpu. I was considering upgrading to the z97-a but not right now.

I'd game at 1080p usually. When I say limited gaming I simply mean not 14 hours a day lol. Maybe a few hours a week when I want to take my mind off things! I'd like to be able to play the likes of the witcher or dark souls. Was a massive fallout player before but limit my time playing games the last few years.

May 3, 2020
Just looked at some of the 1050s and you know one of them might actually do the trick. The ti model seems like it's certainly capable of handling the witcher 3 and will do for my other needs as well.

Should be good. Probably slightly better than the 1050 or 1050 ti.
Well, it should be a fair amount more than "slightly better". Reviews typically show the 1650 SUPER being a bit faster than a 1060 6GB in most games. So it's more than twice as fast as a 1050, or roughly around 75% faster than a 1050 Ti. That should make it a fairly good option for 1080p gaming, in any case.

Does anyone have a recommendation on these? Have a budge of around €250 for graphics card and both the 1660 and 1060 fall within that. While the 1660 out performs the 1060 ever so much, I feel it may be more than what I need.

Will be used for limited gaming and mostly for music, programming, etc. I have seen some really nice MSI 1060 6gb which I can get for under 200. They seem to have pretty decent reviews as well.

Also do you really save that much looking second? I'm considering in but so far the price differences I've seen are minimal compared to new.

I would never buy a graphics card second hand, there is no warranty, it could be a mining card, it could have all its issues and quirks. If its minimal, the price, don't go for second hand.

The GTX1060 is quite old now and is outperformed by cards such as the GTX1660. And there is nothing like 'too much for me' If you think you will use it to its full potential then go for it, if not then buy a cheaper card. If you have the money, I would go and grab the GTX1660