Question GTX 560 Broken or Not?

CaptainCanoy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2020
I bought my very first graphics Graphics Card for $20 and it's an Nvidia GTX 560. So happy that in many years I could get my very own GPU for my gaming experience.

But when I tried to play some games like Valorant, CSGO or Left 4 Dead 2, it crashes to BSOD or Black Screen.

BSOD Errors are:
video_scheduler_internal_error
irql_not_less_or_equal

IDK if it may be possible on the Hardware, because the last owner said it was stuck in the attic for 2 years and maybe exposed on some heat so the GPU Chip might be damaged.

Furmark Stress Test:
So I researched it and some said that the GPU Crash may occur when it's under load, so I run Furmark for 20 Minutes, and it didn't crash or stutter. it stayed for about 86 -87 Degree Celsius and I know it's bad but I want to make sure that it doesn't break under load. So it was a success.

I installed the latest version of the driver that is available for the GPU and it's 391.35.

I cleaned the GPU carefully by using a toothbrush and Acrylic Thinner that cannot damage the board or any circuits of the GPU because I don't have any alternatives and I don't want to use rubbing alcohol because it contains water inside of it.
I repasted the GPU using a GD900 (Cheap but Good Conduction for Temps)

I tried to use MSI Afterburner and Underclocked it up to 610 MHz to 750 MHz just to see if it's still crashing, and sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. It sometimes show the BSOD with between the two errors that I've shown above or maybe it's just a black screen with no signal.

Can someone find some solutions to this?
Thanks in Advance!!!

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Please include the age of the PSU, apart from it's make and model. Include the GPU you were using prior to the GTX560.

GD900 (Cheap but Good Conduction for Temps)
You might want to think about using good quality thermal paste.

I tried to use MSI Afterburner and Underclocked it up to 610 MHz to 750 MHz
That sentence says you overclocked it or did you mean to say you brought the clocks down from 750MHz to 610MHz?

CaptainCanoy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2020
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Please include the age of the PSU, apart from it's make and model. Include the GPU you were using prior to the GTX560.

That sentence says you overclocked it or did you mean to say you brought the clocks down from 750MHz to 610MHz?

Oh sorry about that, forgot to put that there, it's midnight so I'm just really tiredresearching so I just put my problem here so if anyone can help me fix this,

Here's my specs:

Mobo: AsRock X470 Gaming K4
CPU: Ryzen 3 3100
GPU: Nvidia GTX 560
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Case: Keytech Knight Series Armor
Case Fans: NZXT Aer P

Peripherals:
Headset/Mic: Razer Kraken X
Mouse: Just a Generic Mouse
Keyboard: Generic Too
Monitor: An Ancient 1366 x 768 VGA Output Monitor (Got an adapter)

Is this Enough? Just tell me if I'm missing something.

DSzymborski

Titan
Honestly, you've done most of the things that you can do. If there are no obviously burnt components, I think the GPU is, for all intents and purposes, not repairable. Did the seller sell it for parts only? Used 560 Tis complete for under $30 on eBay these days, without the disclaimer that they've sat for years and the owner already thinking it might be damaged.

CaptainCanoy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2020
Honestly, you've done most of the things that you can do. If there are no obviously burnt components, I think the GPU is, for all intents and purposes, not repairable. Did the seller sell it for parts only? Used 560 Tis complete for under $30 on eBay these days, without the disclaimer that they've sat for years and the owner already thinking it might be damaged.
The last owner said that he used it for few hours (DOTA 2) and used a toothpaste (idk why) as an alternative for thermal paste. It was stable and didn’t show any problems at all. He sold it because he needed the money for other things.
Situation of the pandemic is hitting me hard because jobs in my place is really hard like getting $20 per week is decent but not enough to pay bills so getting my very first graphics card is more like a luck to find one that just makes me happy instead, gave a hard smack of reality.

DSzymborski

Titan
The last owner said that he used it for few hours (DOTA 2) and used a toothpaste (idk why) as an alternative for thermal paste. It was stable and didn’t show any problems at all. He sold it because he needed the money for other things.
Situation of the pandemic is hitting me hard because jobs in my place is really hard like getting $20 per week is decent but not enough to pay bills so getting my very first graphics card is more like a luck to find one that just makes me happy instead, gave a hard smack of reality.

So he claims, unfortunately. There would have been enough red flags that I would not have purchased this for even $20. Not that it helps you now.

It's unfortunate, but I don't have a better answer for you. I suspect the GPU is done for and any likelihood of fixing it will result in someone with a lot of experience reviving GPUs getting their hands directly on it. And that's likely to cost ten times what the GPU costs. Perhaps someone will think of something I missed.

CaptainCanoy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2020
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

The Original Clock Speed is 810 MHz but I underclocked it down to 750 or sometimes 610

But the BSOD or the Black Screen still happens when I’m Gaming like Valorant or even L4D2

The funny thing is, it’s not crashing on a PCSX2 Game (BLACK, EA GAMES). Even if I put it upto 2K Native Resolution but it’s still not going BSOD or Black Screen. It’s going smooth without any problems.

I’m not really sure what the heck is this GPU’s Problem.