Question GTX 590 and GTX 1650 in same system. Will drivers interfere?

Budgeteer_262

Reputable
Jan 13, 2021
Got a GTX 1650 and GTX 590 in a system. Long story. (no igpu)

PC only boots when the 590 is installed and used as vid output with the 1650 alongside. I know why but that's a separate issue.

In device manager the 1650 is not currently recognized. If I install drivers for the 1650, will it interfere/remove or mess up my drivers for the 590?

The 590 is currently my only way of using the PC so if I somehow disrupt those drivers and prevent 590 functionality, I am in big trouble.

Thanks for your input

The last drivers that supported the 590 were released before the 1650 existed which is where your problem lies. You cannot run two different nvidia driver versions on the same system and I'm not aware of any workarounds.

It's unfortunate that they didn't just opt for video outputs on the board since all SNB era client CPUs have IGPs.

The only way is to use a driver that supports both. Unfortunately the last ever Fermi driver (391.35 for 64-bit Windows 10) only supports up to Pascal such as GTX1060, and Turing is a generation too far.

The alternative is to use a cheap AMD card instead, since unlike with Windows 7, Windows 10 works fine with completely unrelated drivers from different manufacturers both installed. The problem with two nVidia card drivers is parts of the them would be written to the same system locations.