GTX 680 FTW+ Inconsistent Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kastrenzo

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I had made another thread a few days ago about FPS dropping, it didnt get any replies other than someone asking about fan speeds and temperatures which was not the issue

I have traced the issue of my FPS dropping in games, they would go from 100-120, and drop down to ridiculously low levels, and then go back up.

My system is as Follows, Nothing is overclocked. But I use Nvidia PrecisionX and MSI afterburner to monitor graphs, The computer is a little over a month old. and when working properly, it is a monster of a machine for games, but the GPU has other plans some days

GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB GDDR5 *one, no SLI or anything*
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7 3930K @ 3.2GHz
16GB GDDR3 Corsair Vengeance Ram
128GB OCZ VTX4 SSD & 2TB WD Caviar Black HDD
Coolermaster RS-A00-80GA-D3 1000W Silent Pro PSU

I have noticed when running games many times that all of my graphs drop along with the game's FPS, GPU Clocks, Voltage, etc would all drop. but the "power" graph would spike. It seems fixated on 277%. I dont even know what the power graph means.

Voltage drops to 0.987 Volts, which is it's idle voltage, It should be running 1.125 or more under load, but it is not, I have tried several means to manually increase the voltage to its base range, with both afterburner and precisionX, but it doesnt do anything

So all in all, the video card is taking liberties with it's own voltage, and constantly switching itself onto it's idle load settings, it doesnt understand that 3D application is not relax time.

Below is a screenshot of the graph from EVGA PrecisionX, I had opened Planetside 2 for about 10 seconds, it ran fine for about 5 and then the FPS dropped, you can see the Drop in the graph
WTFPSU_zpsa1fcf9d9.png

Edit: Oh another note about voltages, clocks and powers

When this game, Planetside 2 for instance, or almost any game, is running NORMALLY, The voltage is 1.125 or 1.175 Volts on boost, and the clocks are 1084 on base, and 1150 on boost.

the "power" level that I dont understand anything about, is NORMALLY in the mid 90s when a game is running fine and not getting these FPS/Voltage issues. but for some reason when the voltage goes down, the power goes up.

Sometimes I'm able to trick the card into locking into its normal voltages just by running my internet browser for a few minutes, in the time it took me to type this thread, it seems to have fixed itself. but before, weeks ago when I didnt know what the issue was, The only thing that fixed it was a reboot, and it often took multiple attempts.