[SOLVED] GTX 950 OEM question:

Jul 7, 2020
So i recently bought a second hand GTX 950 OEM that was originally intended in an Acer Predator G3-710. Now, ever since it arrived i've had issue after issue with it, there doesn't seem to be any physical damage and the card is the real thing, but it seems to have a BIOS that's very unique, i can't find any information about it online(84.06.2F.00.84), and GPU-Z shows a 0mb memory size, which is obviously false. All the drivers i've tried with it either gave out artifacting or a black screen, and i believe this could be a compatibility issue stemming from the fact that this was meant to run on an Acer board, and it's now on a Dell board instead.
Any advice? Been thinking re-flashing the bios could help, and all the numbers line up with an asus gtx950 so that would be my choice, but i've never actually re-flashed anything for now, so i'd need a bit of help with that too.
Thanks!

Solution
Yeah i opened it up to change the paste too, it is a 950, there's practically no difference to a Zotac board outside of the fact that it's using SK Hynix vRAM instead of Samsung.

For me, I'd test it in another system to make sure it's not the computer, and after that do a return request if you bought it a place like eBay since the card was not represented correctly. Even if the seller states no returns unless they list the card as known with some issues you can still open a case for a return.

I just sold a video card but stated in like 3 places that is has some issues and sold as-is, even if the card kills the guys cats and dents his Porsche eBay should take my side since I warned the buyer the card is not perfect.
Jul 7, 2020
I think the compability won't be the issue, since they are will work with a suitable driver.
Where you get the driver ? Have you try to get the driver from nvidia for GTX 950 ?
I got a few drivers from the official Nvidia website, and i got two for the Acer Predator, none worked correctly.

Have not heard of a video card from an OEM system be limited to only that brand, it's more likely the card is damaged or it's a fake one. If you are not afraid to break it, take off the heatsink and look at the actual chip to see if it's a 950 one.

I'd return it to the seller as bad.

Jul 7, 2020
Have not heard of a video card from an OEM system be limited to only that brand, it's more likely the card is damaged or it's a fake one. If you are not afraid to break it, take off the heatsink and look at the actual chip to see if it's a 950 one.

I'd return it to the seller as bad.
Yeah i opened it up to change the paste too, it is a 950, there's practically no difference to a Zotac board outside of the fact that it's using SK Hynix vRAM instead of Samsung.

For me, I'd test it in another system to make sure it's not the computer, and after that do a return request if you bought it a place like eBay since the card was not represented correctly. Even if the seller states no returns unless they list the card as known with some issues you can still open a case for a return.

I just sold a video card but stated in like 3 places that is has some issues and sold as-is, even if the card kills the guys cats and dents his Porsche eBay should take my side since I warned the buyer the card is not perfect.

Solution