Question GTX 970 UNDERPEFORMANCE

Jan 16, 2022
I'm desperate, I've done everything and I couldn't find any solution

My old setup was an i5 4460, 16gb RAM DDR3 and GTX 970. The games ran with great performance (Red Dead Redemption 2 40~60 fps full hd High settings for example)

I changed my motherboard, processor and RAM for a Ryzen 5 1600, 16gb DDR4 2400mhz and a Biostar b45m motherboard.

I did a clean format of windows 10. Then my games started to have a low performance (RDR2 started to have less than 30 FPS even in Low Settings)

On 3DMARK the graphics score has dropped by more than 60%!!!! In Uniengine Heaven the average FPS of the card is 39 FPS in the opening scenes, but mine only reaches 27. In lighter ones, the average is 90, but my card only reaches 60!

All sensors on MSI AFTERBURNER, GPU-Z, CPU-Z and more say that GPU clocks, VRAM, Temperature, power usage and everything else is as it should.

I've already reinstalled the drivers with the DDU, I've installed old drivers, I've updated other computer drivers, I've touched the BIOS, but NOTHING SOLVES.

Here's a link to the setup comparison before/now. It's a big difference!

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/25554014/spy/22348823

Jan 16, 2022
Did you load all your base drivers for the mobo? Chipset?
Did you happen to get a new monitor along with this new computer stuff and are now running a higher resolution?

all drivers are installed. Device manager does not point out any missing drivers. I'm using the same monitor.

Your performance is suffering due to slow RAM. Ryzen performance (especially first gen) is very closly tied to RAM speed. If you can get 2800 or 3000 DDR4 speeds you'll see an overall system performance boost. Check out the QVL for your motherboard.

Your GPU is definitely underperforming, as well. Do you have the aux power connectors plugged in? Please post the results to a standard 3DMark Time Spy run.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
That UBM certainly shows the system is not happy about that 970. Looks like aside from the drive performance everything else seems to be as expected.

Best motherboard manufacturers. Biostar provides various high quality motherboard gaming series, including am4 motherboa

This is the BIOS you are on?
B45CS706.BSS

You went to the above site, clicked download, and installed all the pertinent base level drivers yourself, or did you just let the Windows install the generic drivers for everything?

@alceryes - The first gen CPU can run happily along at 2400, and even in spite of the hit to performance it is typically measured in a few frames, not 1/3 your total graphics performance.

The only other thing I can think of this particular moment is in relation to the PSU. Are you using a new(er) quality unit? Same one as before?

Jan 16, 2022
Your performance is suffering due to slow RAM. Ryzen performance (especially first gen) is very closly tied to RAM speed. If you can get 2800 or 3000 DDR4 speeds you'll see an overall system performance boost. Check out the QVL for your motherboard.

Your GPU is definitely underperforming, as well. Do you have the aux power connectors plugged in? Please post the results to a standard 3DMark Time Spy run.

the comparison is in the link I put, which is this. On one side is the test on my i5 4460 with the gtx 970 and on the other it is the same card with the ryzen 5 1600 and 16gb ddr4 instead of the ddr3. The test shows that I had a big gain on the processor part (which was expected), but I lost 60%+ on the graphics part, for some reason I'm trying to figure out

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/25554014/spy/22348823 (this is me)

Jan 16, 2022
That UBM certainly shows the system is not happy about that 970. Looks like aside from the drive performance everything else seems to be as expected.

Best motherboard manufacturers. Biostar provides various high quality motherboard gaming series, including am4 motherboa

This is the BIOS you are on?
B45CS706.BSS

You went to the above site, clicked download, and installed all the pertinent base level drivers yourself, or did you just let the Windows install the generic drivers for everything?

@alceryes - The first gen CPU can run happily along at 2400, and even in spite of the hit to performance it is typically measured in a few frames, not 1/3 your total graphics performance.

The only other thing I can think of this particular moment is in relation to the PSU. Are you using a new(er) quality unit? Same one as before?

Windows update downloaded everything . My PSU is a Thermaltek 600W 80 plus

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
My motherboard is a "Biostar b45m2" and my bios version is "5.14 - AMD AGESA COMBO - AM4 1.0.0.6A". Date: 11/06/2020

Ah, I had erroneously assumed you left the "0" off the end.

Go to your motherboard site:

Download and install all of the motherboard specific drivers that pertain to your setup. Go to AMD and download the chipset drivers specific to your setup. Windows doesn't always select the best thing, given the variety of systems it's "generic" drivers have to cover.

The lack of notes in the BIOS revisions is a bit disconcerting. Most BIOS revisions will tell you what they pertain to and in particular with AMD, whether it's recommended to move to said updates in relation to the CPU being used.

Jan 16, 2022
Ah, I had erroneously assumed you left the "0" off the end.

Go to your motherboard site:

Download and install all of the motherboard specific drivers that pertain to your setup. Go to AMD and download the chipset drivers specific to your setup. Windows doesn't always select the best thing, given the variety of systems it's "generic" drivers have to cover.

The lack of notes in the BIOS revisions is a bit disconcerting. Most BIOS revisions will tell you what they pertain to and in particular with AMD, whether it's recommended to move to said updates in relation to the CPU being used.

I downloaded and installed the "chipset". "On board lan" and "on board audio". I try uniengine heaven and 3dmark, same result.

Jan 16, 2022
It would seem that you have checked the boxes and dotted the i's .

Might be worthwhile to double check all your connectors, reseat the GPU. Make sure none of the pins for the power supply have pushed back from being firmly seated.

The sensors indicate ingame that the card is pulling 138w (maximum of 141w according to its specifications). This quantity is only possible with two pins of 6, so I believe everything is correct. I've already disassembled the board and reassembled it again, which changed nothing.

TRENDING THREADS